Dream Boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TDunn

Guru
Vessel Name
Tortuga
Vessel Make
Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
I was walking the docks at the marina this afternoon. The season is winding down here in Maine and the marina is already thinning out. In two months the marina will be pretty much empty. There are still a few "trawler style" boats here today which got me thinking about dream boats, i.e., the boat you would like if money wasn't an a consideration. Here are some of the boats in the marina this afternoon. Which fits your bill as a dream boat?

Number one - Nordhavn 47 (one of two still at the marina)

N47.JPG

Selene 53 Ocean Trawler

selene_53.JPG

Northern Marine 60

northern_60.JPG

Molokai Strait 75

molokai_strait_75.JPG

And finally one for you go fast types, a Pershing 62

pershing_62.JPG

Personally I like the Selene 53. In my opinion the Pershing 62 has got to be one ugliest boats I have seen this year. The color dowsn't help either.

I've always been attracted to Bruce Kessler's "Spirit of Zopilote". We see her often in Buck's Harbor. Appears to be a go anywhere, no nonsense, beauty in function, yet comfortable boat.

Her she is behind my beer at the Buck's Harbor Yacht Club floats a couple of years ago.

A friend has a Selene 53. Nice. But I would prefer the Northern Marine.

The other two do not appeal to me.

Of course, I couldn't afford to even fill the fuel tanks on any of them.

Pictures taken at Dysart's Great Harbor Marina in SW Harbor I presume? Has "Grace" a/k/a Mark Bowerman, departed yet?

Attachments

• At the Float.jpg
    At the Float.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 112
My favorite is Zopilote, by the way that means Buzzard in Central American Spanish. Didn't she have some sort of accident years ago?

Pictures taken at Dysart's Great Harbor Marina in SW Harbor I presume? Has "Grace" a/k/a Mark Bowerman, departed yet?

Yes Dysarts in Southwest Harbor today. Mark didn't come into Dysarts this year. His boat was on a town mooring for a couple of weeks at the beginning of the season, but I haven't seen it since July.

When a flybridge is placed on top of a pilothouse, in my opinion, in most cases, it takes away from the boat's lines. But that Northern Marine's FB design avoided that. What a good looking design.

The Molokai would be better looking without the flybridge.

My favorite is Zopilote, by the way that means Buzzard in Central American Spanish. Didn't she have some sort of accident years ago?
I think Spirit of Z (former) met a rock and was lost due to down flooding as a result of the allision.

I always thought I had my dream boat picked out, one of our club's members has a stunning 65' Tollycraft pilothouse. That all changed when a new member pulled up right behind me at our outstation this weekend in a 59' ? Nordhaven. To make matters worse they were docked across from each other much of the weekend.

Attachments

• 11952023_10153612470624314_7605179031600043634_n.jpg
    11952023_10153612470624314_7605179031600043634_n.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 115
I think Spirit of Z (former) met a rock and was lost due to down flooding as a result of the allision.

An excerpt from a Soundings article on the sinking of the original Zopilote: "In 1994, after their circumnavigation and a season of shooting 'The Commish', Kessler was cruising to Alaska’s Prince William Sound on Zopilote and it hit an uncharted seamount at Dixon Entrance, 70 miles west of Ketchikan, Alaska. The yacht sank. The combination of a minus-18-foot tide and a big Pacific swell exposed the seamount, which ordinarily would have been deep under water."

Of the first four shown, I'd take them in that order and the Pershing wouldn't even qualify as a man-made reef.

If I had my choice of any reasonable boats the Nordy 57 would be right there on the short list...
57nordhavn2.jpg

as would the Ocean Alexander 72....
Ocean-Alexander-90.jpg

or a Marlow 62 would work also....
68448685_scaled_484x276.jpg

There were a couple of other boats I couldn't get pictures of because other boats blocked the view. One was a 60 ish Marlow and the other is a Westport 112.

I was walking the docks at the marina this afternoon. The season is winding down here in Maine and the marina is already thinning out. In two months the marina will be pretty much empty. There are still a few "trawler style" boats here today which got me thinking about dream boats, i.e., the boat you would like if money wasn't an a consideration. Here are some of the boats in the marina this afternoon. Which fits your bill as a dream boat?

Number one - Nordhavn 47 (one of two still at the marina)

N47.JPG

Selene 53 Ocean Trawler

selene_53.JPG

Northern Marine 60

northern_60.JPG

Molokai Strait 75

molokai_strait_75.JPG

And finally one for you go fast types, a Pershing 62

pershing_62.JPG

Personally I like the Selene 53. In my opinion the Pershing 62 has got to be one ugliest boats I have seen this year. The color dowsn't help either.

Ah yes that's M/V Dragon Fly. (The 47)

Here's Mine, a N76.
5225282252_a340373aa2_b.jpg

Nice RT however I prefer Starship Voyager. Yesterday I watched Season Six, Disc 2. :)

As for those boats, while nice, well, I prefer Seaweed. She suits me.

Of course I'd trick her out with an autopilot (plain one that steers a compass course) and a few other goodies. I love my boat and when I look at those bigger ones I remember all the work it took to keep our 40'er in good condition. Those bigger boats take a lot of upkeep.

I'd prefer to enjoy my boat rather than work on her constantly. One of these days I'll get there, right?! :) This evening the mechanic who is in Pennsylvania called. He'll fly back on the 24th and will be here the morning of the 25th. Whew!

:) Meets all my criteria.

Last edited:
Kessler's original Zopilote was designed by Steve Seaton and built by Delta Marine. She was 70' of truly beautiful boat. Having seen both the original and the Spirit of ..., the reincarnation is but a shadow of the original to me. If I had a choice between a Delta built boat, and a Northern Marine built-not much of a choice for me.

She'd be a real bitch to single hand. Deuterium can be tough to find at most marinas, too. Otherwise, I approve. :thumb:

I always had more of a soft spot for the Excelsior class, myself.
1094803-excelsior_class.jpg

Last edited:
It's where you are ,not what you're in.

Attachments

• 2012-04-22 09.49.07.jpg
    2012-04-22 09.49.07.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 79
Still, this has possibilities.

Attachments

• 2015-03-24 15.12.13.jpg
    2015-03-24 15.12.13.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 86
She'd be a real bitch to single hand. Deuterium can be tough to find at most marinas, too. Otherwise, I approve. :thumb:

I always had more of a soft spot for the Excelsior class, myself.
1094803-excelsior_class.jpg

good god ... we have been infiltrated by trekkies!

:socool:
HOLLYWOOD

If you see one of these....

latest

Then you had better hope one of these show up to help.

whitestar_prime_of_the_anla_shok_by_archangel72367-d5wgokm.jpg

:D:D:D

Later,
Dan

My dream boat is capable of going almost anywhere. (Following Kevin Sanders' definition of coastal cruising.) The boat has everything I have ever wanted in a boat! I have done a short cruise on one, (3/4 hours off shore) and found the vessel very much to my liking. Both handling and moving around the boat at speed. She has more "elegance" than most would prefer but considering she would be at the dock much more than at sea, the accommodations are second to none and very welcome.

I would sell my second home if my wife voted along with me (which she doesn't!) to have this particular model and vintage.

2008 Ocean Alexander Pilothouse Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Ocean Alexander 64'

Attachments

• 2008 OA 64.jpg
    2008 OA 64.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 77
Back
Top Bottom