Ultra Swivel - opinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ranger58sb

Guru
Vessel Name
Ranger
Vessel Make
58' Sedan Bridge
These from this thread: http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s42/anchor-swivel-attachment-17253.html

I have done a lot of anchoring from the bow without a swivel in the past with no issues. On my new boat with a remote windless control at the helm I find the special Ultra swivel very useful. This devise flips the anchor over if it comes up backwards or sideward and takes a lot of load off the entire rig. The Ultra swivel is a ball and socket type. The swivels that are not ball and socket have been known to fail do to repeated un toggled lateral stress and are a poor choice for the job particularly stressed if they come up to the roller and jam at the wrong angle across their toggle plane. So I do see a use for a good ball and socket swivel if you have a remote windless application on your boat.

Anchors coming up bass akwards is a bit more of a problem when the anchor weighs more than you can lift. I have an Ultra flip swivel that is rated stronger than the 1/2" G4 chain I use and flips the anchor to the correct position every time. A bit easier than trying to rotate a 176# anchor with a boat hook in one hand and the windlass control in the other.

Anyone else use an Ultra Swivel? Experience good, bad, or indifferent?

Ultra Anchors

Marine FLIP SWIVEL CHAIN - Swivel for sale

Our current articulating swivel presented our SuperMax anchor turned 180° around, yesterday. Turns out it could stand a little lube... :)

But then in the meantime, a dock neighbor has just been showing me his new Ultra anchor and Ultra Swivel... and the orientation control sounds useful.

-Chris

I've used one with several different anchors on two different boats. It has always worked as advertised. I put a little grease in the swivel every year when I clean and grease my windlass. There were a few older models of the swivel that were recalled several years ago. The new ones have a different design.

I've subsequently discovered Ultra anchors are from Quickline (at least here in the U.S.), and they also offer the Ultra Flip Swivel: Ultra Flip Swivel | Quickline USA

And these things are a tad pricey, too!

Practical Sailor and Sounding Trade Only had articles about a recall off the UFS8 model, apparently which was originally cast instead of being machined.

-Chris

We have two attached to the two Ultra anchors we have. Very happy with them so far.

Back
Top Bottom