Popped 2 Cleats This Summer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, CHC! I got in there last weekend through the ER vents and can confirm the 'nasty glass ends"! I had to drape a towel over my forearm to reach up there with the hardware and tools. It required a bit on ingenuity to make it work, but I pulled it off. It sure was tight quarters!

I found that I needed to:

1. Scotch Tape 3 washers together

2. Load socket with fiberlock nut

3. Scotch Tape washer set to top of socket, aligned with the nut in the center

4. Play touchy-feely with the end of the machine screw to mate the pair.

5. Tighten until you have no more. Then take a break and come back for more! Repeat as necessary until completely tight.

By the end of the day, I was totally spent. I only had the time and energy for the amidship cleats. I'll have to tackle the stern cleats another time.

How was the cruise from Sac to Angel Island? I've done it many times (not in this boat), but looking to plan the trip soon.

For the benefit of others: Angel Island offers lots of history and good views and is definitely worth the visit. Be prepared for rough seas in eastern Suisun and San Pablo bays when strong wind and current conflict. There is a protocol for mooring. Google the island's website.

Last edited:
Thanks Mark! I appreciate it. I've been making the runs for several years, last with a Coast Guard 82' and 125'. I know the run well - just haven't done it in this boat yet. Starting to see our share of hyacinth pop up in the delta.

How was the cruise from Sac to Angel Island? I've done it many times (not in this boat), but looking to plan the trip soon.

I like to time it with the tide to help my speed, but as Mark mentioned, if the SW wind kicks up on the ebb tide, the ride can get more rough and wet. No problems with your boat!

It's just a long run! I've never done the whole trip since I used to keep my boat at Riverboat Marina (about a 7 hr run) and am now in Vallejo Muni Marina (about a 2.5 hr run). Once you pass Isleton, you'll be ~50 NM from AI.

Last edited:
With my not-to-exceed-hull-speed boat it would take at least three days to go from Sacramento to Angel Island, so it would require at least a week for a round-trip voyage although it would be worthwhile to take more time. Once in the central bay, there are other destinations such as Alameda, Treasure Island, Sausalito and so on, as well as forays to Petaluma and Napa. Pittsburg Marina has quality diesel fuel at a good price.

I'm still spoiled on my $2.80 I paid last year in Stockton!

I love cruising the bay. Last time I was down we tied up our 125' at the Army Corps pier in Sausalito near the Bay Model. I am planning to do it and back over a long weekend. Figure Sac to Benicia/Martinez (assuming you could get in there with the mud issues on low tide) one night - Angel the next day and rinse and repeat coming back.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom