Ni ad active fin stabilisers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liberty2015

Vessel Name
Liberty
Vessel Make
57 foot Halvorsen
Hi,

We have Niad 252 active fin stabilisers fitted to our boat, I have been investigating with the manufacturer an upgrade of the system to electronic controls. Basically it measures the velocity of roll and reacts to the sea state and predicts it , where as the old systems basically react, so slight delay in correction of roll, that's my understanding anyway.

Has anyone had any experience with the upgrade package and what was the results in terms of better performance, especially down wind ?

Interested on any comments.

I also have Naiad 252's. Mine were fitted in mid 2013, so I do have the accelerometers in the control unit. This enables the fins to move much earlier than otherwise would be the case. Basically the boat just stays flat as far as roll is concerned. They perform exceptionally well.

I have no idea what is involved in the upgrade package, but expect that if supplied and fitted by someone Naiad regard as competent, including sea trial adjustments of the control unit, then it should work out well.

Thanks Brian for the info. It is not a major project , but an expensive one, Niad are quoting around 25,000.00 for the upgrade.

Cheers Chris D

It's well worth it. We did it on the boat I'm on now and others. No ones ever been unhappy they did it. Also look at increasing your fin size. Many builder skimp on that.

Are you looking at upgrading to the DATUM or MultiSea II NAIAD controls?

Hi

The Naiad dealer here is saying the Datum, for the extra money he does not feel the multi sea gives much further benefit.

When you did the change what was the difference you noticed on your vessel?

Cheers Chris D

Wow, that is a lot of boat bucks but I guess the A$ has tanked and that is part of the reason.

From memory my Naiad's were US$35k complete, and US$25k to fit. It was done in the US but the retrofitting was difficult.

My 252's are 7.5 Sq ft, sized to be effective at low speeds because when conditions are bad and you really need them you will likely be going slow.

Thanks Brian,

We also have the 7.5 ft fins fitted, have been advised can't go any bigger on the 252 units, and if we wanted larger fins that is about 12,000.00 Aus

Cheers Chris D

Hi

The Naiad dealer here is saying the Datum, for the extra money he does not feel the multi sea gives much further benefit.

When you did the change what was the difference you noticed on your vessel?

Cheers Chris D

The MultiSea does give a big improvement over the old basic on/off system by far. But if you have the bucks the DATUM is the way to go. It has a constant adapting mode that is real slick.

Big fan of the adaptive mode while at cruising speeds. We switch them to active mode only when trawling very slow.

Greetings,
Good grief! This "upgrade" which I was totally unaware of sounded VERY interesting until I read $25K. I think I'll stick with the old NAIAD system and watch the weather...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom