Eric, I found your next anchor !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1437395973.127371.jpg

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1437395988.426756.jpg

HAHA one of my favorites.

But I already have one.

You immediately thought of me when you saw that beautiful anchor .. right?

Attachments

• DSCF1598 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF1598 copy 2.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 90
Wow, you actually do have one.

???

Does it work well? Is it supposed to flip over on a tide change and catch on the other "fluke"?

Yes, but you don't have it in "Weathered Brown" yours is the stock "Silver Satin" color.

No Mast,
Yes and I think it's SS. It's not the standard Northill w forged shank and flukes. Have one of them too but it's only big enough for a small skiff. The standard Northill is very popular in British Columbia. So popular that most of them now are hand made.

cardude01 and RT,
Sure it could happen but in view of the extreme popularity in BC I'll bet it dosn't happen very often. They are a bunch of savy boaters in BC.

I've planed a mod for this one. The stocks look a bit flimsy to me. Think I'll install a 1/16" wire from the upper shank to the center of the stocks. The anchor only weighs 13lbs and is quite large. The very sharp tips may even penetrate grass. But I haven't tried it on any bottom yet.

Pretty common anchor in the commercial harbours around here.

The real kicker is that many of them use a half-shot of chain with the remainder of the rode being wire rope on a hydraulic reel.

Spy,
I thought about wire to keep my 435' rode length. It's also a lot lighter than chain. What would you do if you damaged the wire in the middle of it's length?

Roughly 1/3 of the commercials in Alaska (SE) use all chain and the other 2/3 use 50 to 100' of chain and then nylon. Very heavy chain next to the anchor frequently studded and very big anchors. Forfjord's, Claws and Dreadnoughts. In that order popularity wise.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom