Trawler Forum

Trawler Forum (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/)
-   -   autopilot (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/autopilot-21123.html)

Pure pleasure 07-12-2015 01:10 PM

autopilot
 
Thinking I need a new autopilot. What braden do yall think I need have used garmin and simrad. Before

Larry M 07-12-2015 01:34 PM

We've have a Simrad AP24 with two stations. Since we installed it, 8400 miles ago, we've had zero issues. I'd buy another.

Codger2 07-12-2015 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry M (Post 348201)
We've have a Simrad AP24 with two stations. Since we installed it, 8400 miles ago, we've had zero issues. I'd buy another.

:iagree:I did have a ComNav 1001 on my Mainship Pilot 30 and it was terrific! Over the years, Simrad has been my choice but my present boat has a Raymarine 6002 and it seems to be performing well.

ComNav

Heron 07-12-2015 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codger2 (Post 348203)
my present boat has a Raymarine 6002 and it seems to be performing well.

Same unit...7 years old with additional wireless remote for the bridge. Working perfectly..

Pure pleasure 07-12-2015 06:25 PM

I have only used simrad and garmin the boat has a cetreck in it and it's giving me problems don't want to put any money into it. I was thinking an ap24

Larry M 07-12-2015 06:34 PM

Don't dump your old unit in the dumpster. We had an old Robertson that the AP24 replaced. We sold the pieces on eBay and netted ~$1,100.

Pure pleasure 07-12-2015 07:06 PM

That would be nice to get something for it

Pau Hana 07-12-2015 07:30 PM

Raymarine Evolution 4000- uses your current pump, and is an easy install.

caltexflanc 07-12-2015 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry M (Post 348246)
Don't dump your old unit in the dumpster. We had an old Robertson that the AP24 replaced. We sold the pieces on eBay and netted ~$1,100.

Perhaps because the Simrad is, to a large degree, a relabeled and tarted up Robertson. What advantages have you witnessed since making the switch?

Larry M 07-12-2015 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caltexflanc (Post 348272)
Perhaps because the Simrad is, to a large degree, a relabeled and tarted up Robertson. What advantages have you witnessed since making the switch?

Better tracking in following seas, a smarter CPU(?), the pump doesn't work as hard as it did in various sea conditions, it's NMEA 2K and I can still get service for it. The Robertson was a great AP but when we made the change it was no longer supported and we knew we would be out of the US for several years. It was an easy upgrade, plus selling the old unit, we figured it was on my schedule instead of Neptune's.

Martin J 07-12-2015 11:02 PM

Just fitted a ev400power in my 55" Cheoy Lee in the spring and we tested it to St Barts from Sint Maarten in 15kts. The following week we cruised across to the British Islands with 25+ knots on the stern. Followed by a return trip in late May with 25-35kts on the bow. The auto pilot performed flawlessly. Steered far better than me...! they do take a little getting used to viz a viz. dialing in the right settings and getting used to that. Very pleased with mine....

Wxx3 07-16-2015 05:17 PM

I love my ComNav. It is tough and reliable.
It handles all sorts of seas well.

hollywood8118 07-17-2015 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wxx3 (Post 349479)
I love my ComNav. It is tough and reliable.
It handles all sorts of seas well.

I will agree with that, we had a comnav on the last boat and it was trouble free for over 15 years..there are a lot of them in commercial boats in the PNW

Hollywood

Lutarious 07-17-2015 05:15 PM

Com nav is the way to go. Durable, adj7stable, no nonsense.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012