autopilot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pure pleasure

Thinking I need a new autopilot. What braden do yall think I need have used garmin and simrad. Before

We've have a Simrad AP24 with two stations. Since we installed it, 8400 miles ago, we've had zero issues. I'd buy another.

We've have a Simrad AP24 with two stations. Since we installed it, 8400 miles ago, we've had zero issues. I'd buy another.
:iagree:I did have a ComNav 1001 on my Mainship Pilot 30 and it was terrific! Over the years, Simrad has been my choice but my present boat has a Raymarine 6002 and it seems to be performing well.

ComNav

my present boat has a Raymarine 6002 and it seems to be performing well.

Same unit...7 years old with additional wireless remote for the bridge. Working perfectly..

I have only used simrad and garmin the boat has a cetreck in it and it's giving me problems don't want to put any money into it. I was thinking an ap24

Don't dump your old unit in the dumpster. We had an old Robertson that the AP24 replaced. We sold the pieces on eBay and netted ~$1,100.

Raymarine Evolution 4000- uses your current pump, and is an easy install.

Don't dump your old unit in the dumpster. We had an old Robertson that the AP24 replaced. We sold the pieces on eBay and netted ~$1,100.

Perhaps because the Simrad is, to a large degree, a relabeled and tarted up Robertson. What advantages have you witnessed since making the switch?

Perhaps because the Simrad is, to a large degree, a relabeled and tarted up Robertson. What advantages have you witnessed since making the switch?

Better tracking in following seas, a smarter CPU(?), the pump doesn't work as hard as it did in various sea conditions, it's NMEA 2K and I can still get service for it. The Robertson was a great AP but when we made the change it was no longer supported and we knew we would be out of the US for several years. It was an easy upgrade, plus selling the old unit, we figured it was on my schedule instead of Neptune's.

Just fitted a ev400power in my 55" Cheoy Lee in the spring and we tested it to St Barts from Sint Maarten in 15kts. The following week we cruised across to the British Islands with 25+ knots on the stern. Followed by a return trip in late May with 25-35kts on the bow. The auto pilot performed flawlessly. Steered far better than me...! they do take a little getting used to viz a viz. dialing in the right settings and getting used to that. Very pleased with mine....

I love my ComNav. It is tough and reliable.
It handles all sorts of seas well.

I love my ComNav. It is tough and reliable.
It handles all sorts of seas well.

I will agree with that, we had a comnav on the last boat and it was trouble free for over 15 years..there are a lot of them in commercial boats in the PNW

Hollywood

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom