Trawler Forum

Trawler Forum (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/)
-   -   Lost battery cap (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/lost-battery-cap-21086.html)

jwnall 07-09-2015 05:42 PM

Lost battery cap

This is a pretty trivial problem, but there are a lot of great minds on this forum, and so perhaps I can get a suggestion which will solve the problem.

A week or so ago, while adding water to the batteries, I accidentally dropped one of the battery caps from a 4-D battery into the bilge. Well, the bilge does not give up its dead! At least my bilge does not, anyway.

So I need to somehow figure out a way to replace that missing cap. Hopefully something short of buying a new 4-D battery. I have thought about it while lying awake at night and cannot come up with a reasonable solution.

All suggestions welcomed and appreciated.

River Cruiser 07-09-2015 05:46 PM

Check with a shop that sells batteries see if they have a old battery you can get one from. Cat dealers have battery caps, I used to carry extras on my truck.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

jwnall 07-09-2015 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by River Cruiser (Post 347523)
Check with a shop that sells batteries see if they have a old battery you can get one from. Cat dealers have battery caps, I used to carry extras on my truck.

Good idea. Thanks!

kenk 07-09-2015 05:59 PM

Check an auto/truck junk yard

FlyWright 07-09-2015 06:36 PM

I would think any battery shop would have spare caps. Just make sure you bring another one to match up the type.

folivier 07-09-2015 06:57 PM

In an emergency I've used a water bottle cap inserted upside down. Keeps any trash out.

FF 07-10-2015 06:22 AM

Time to upgrade ,and water less often.

Hydrocap | Information - Hydrocap Corp

www.hydrocapcorp.com/info.htm

HYDROCAPS are a must for lead-acid battery users. Just look at the increased safety, reduced maintenance, increased battery longevity and reliability as well ...

Larry M 07-10-2015 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FF (Post 347644)
Time to upgrade ,and water less often. Hydrocap | Information - Hydrocap Corp...

:eek: At $10-$18/cap, I would need 60 of them (10-T105s). I think I'll continue to water them. I do have good battery access which does help.

siestakey 07-10-2015 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwnall (Post 347522)
This is a pretty trivial problem, but there are a lot of great minds on this forum, and so perhaps I can get a suggestion which will solve the problem.

A week or so ago, while adding water to the batteries, I accidentally dropped one of the battery caps from a 4-D battery into the bilge. Well, the bilge does not give up its dead! At least my bilge does not, anyway.

So I need to somehow figure out a way to replace that missing cap. Hopefully something short of buying a new 4-D battery. I have thought about it while lying awake at night and cannot come up with a reasonable solution.

All suggestions welcomed and appreciated.

If your in Tallahasse run by Battery source ( my neighbor here in Georgia owns it) he will give you a couple but in the mean time try a synthetic wine cork in it

AusCan 07-10-2015 10:02 AM

- or go to a scrap merchant who buys batteries for the lead.

High Wire 07-10-2015 11:47 AM

I would get a brighter light and mirror to try to find the original. If you use a cork, it needs to have a hole to let gasses out or there may be trouble.

Xsbank 07-10-2015 11:52 AM

Bilge ferrets! Little bastards grab stuff and move it to really dark, usually wet areas of the bilge! There is no way to eliminate them!

BruceK 07-10-2015 09:00 PM

It`s not good to have objects floating around the bilge. The bilge pump may draw it in, helping you recover it, lest it cause a blockage.

Nomad Willy 07-10-2015 09:21 PM

A cork should work OK for at least awhile.

A breather hole may be a good idea.

Adelaide 07-11-2015 12:08 AM

Interesting, my father did the exact same thing a couple weeks ago. Just take one of the other caps with you to your local interstate distribution center. They should be glad to help by taking one from an old recycled battery.