Switching from cloth sail to iron sail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Old Navy Doc

Vessel Name
M go Blue
Vessel Make
Sabre 32 sailboat
Greetings all,

Due to the usual leg & knee issues, we are selling our beloved '85 Sabre 32 sailboat and analyzing our needs/desires as to which power boat to get.

We are learning toward a trawler in 30-36 ft range, single diesel, sleeps 2 in style w occasional 4 adults and 2 small kids. 99% time slowly cruising Tennessee /Cumberland river system, A/C (toasty summers), minimal Brightwork (been there, done that), fuel efficient (cheap).

We will be picking the collective brains of the Trawler forum "hive" to help educate us.

Thanks for being here.

Steve and Karen
Nashville, TN

Welcome Steve and Karen. Lots of us followed your current path!

Welcome aboard. What ever you do, don't ask about anchors or guns! You will start an argument that never ends!

Don't need to. 20 yr Navy vet, expert w pistol and teach rifle for Project Appleseed. I'll pass on the chunks of metal and chain!

Doc, you just missed a good gun thread. Some poor fool asked about carrying a shotgun aboard. Before the monitors shut the thread down, it had devolved into a passionate argument over whether a shotgun or a rifle was better defense against bears. We also learned that Steve McQueen carried 45-70 rounds in his belt but his gun was chambered for a pistol round.

Just to get it out of the way, your anchor is too small, it's the wrong kind and you don't have enough chain. That's all you need to know about anchors.

Welcome aboard shipmate, hope you two find your boat. Retired in 92 and again just a couple months ago for good this time! Never did understand the Sail thing, but to each his own. You'll like the Dark Side.

Old Navy, you're about four years behind me. :thumb:

Welcome board neighbors . Hope you find your boat . Lots of good info and great folks here on the TF.

Welcome aboard Steve and Karen, "been there done that" USN and Sails Retired.
Bill and Jayne
Home Port Goose Pond Marina

Welcome aboard! Good luck in your search!

Welcome aboard

Greetings all,

Due to the usual leg & knee issues, we are selling our beloved '85 Sabre 32 sailboat and analyzing our needs/desires as to which power boat to get.

We are learning toward a trawler in 30-36 ft range, single diesel, sleeps 2 in style w occasional 4 adults and 2 small kids. 99% time slowly cruising Tennessee /Cumberland river system, A/C (toasty summers), minimal Brightwork (been there, done that), fuel efficient (cheap).

We will be picking the collective brains of the Trawler forum "hive" to help educate us.

Thanks for being here.

Steve and Karen
Nashville, TN
I don't know if you're interested in new but a Beneteau Swift Trawler 34 filled our bill for just that kind of boat. New it has the Cummins 6.7 (quietest diesel out there right now) and is frugal at 8 mph and lower (850 mile range on 210 gallon tank, 10% reserve, 1,600 miles range at 4 mph if you can stand that!!, 25 mph top end and 1.2 mpg at that speed, pretty remarkable. Fully loaded under $400,000 including taxes for a 2016 (Florida has $18,000 tax limit on any boat purchase). Full electronics and features both on the bridge and inside, dingy hoist/davit (26' clearance required, mast can be lowered for lower crossings), air, generator, upgraded electronics, the works. Anyway, worth a good look if you want to buy new. Mine gets delivered September and I've studied new boats both on paper and in person for the last 3 years before arriving at this one. 3 year stem to stern warranty.

John Truesalt goes power boating.

Attachments

• Image0002.jpg
    Image0002.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 85
Welcome Steve and Karen. You'll love cruising the Tennessee River and everything it connects to. We've been here, south of Knoxville, for seven years now after living aboard a 42' sail and then a 44' trawler along the East coast and the islands south for 15 years. Retired Army. There're several of us inland cruisers on here and the site is great for swapping tales. I downsized to an Albin 27 cruiser and love it, but my dinghy still has a sail! Ben

Welcome and best of luck with the hunt for the right boat.
I am frequently surprised at the number of folks that have made the same switch.

Thanks. Have friends in that area and used to get my Westerbeke parts from Maryville. Albin's are on our list.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom