Testing Autopilot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptTom

Guru
Vessel Make
Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I tried this on another forum, with no takers.

My boat came "equipped" with the Unipass linear actuator below, neatly wired into the black box shown, with a cable from the box leading...nowhere.

The "head" unit for the autopilot had been removed a long time ago.

Does anyone have access to any manuals on this unit? Or just:

1) How to test the actuator to see if it still works?
2) Is it even possible to connect a new "head" to this old unit?

4339-albums374-picture2061.jpg

4339-albums374-picture2062.jpg

This ram should be in a museum. :) Only kidding. From what I can tell Unipas was based in Warwick, RI and went out business sometime in the late 70's (maybe)? I'd call ComNav or W-H Autopilots. Both of these small companies were around then and their products sometimes interfaced with the competitors.

You should be able to send power to the ram and make it go in and out.

My thoughts exactly. But all I have are colored wires attached to numbered screws. I was thinking maybe someone might have a clue which wires to power up to make it move each way.

This ram should be in a museum. :) Only kidding. From what I can tell Unipas was based in Warwick, RI and went out business sometime in the late 70's (maybe)? I'd call ComNav or W-H Autopilots. Both of these small companies were around then and their products sometimes interfaced with the competitors.

That might not be a bad idea; find someone old enough to remember. Still, if they're that old, their memory might be even worse than mine ;)

The ideal would be a wiring diagram or schematic or something like that.

An electric ram? Wow! If you can take off the black box cover and take a couple photos of whats inside and the back side of the cover. that said, IMHO, its eBay fodder.

"An electric ram? Wow!"

Electric rams , mounted outside in the weather are the norm for tiller steered boats today.

It is an excellent low cost method of steering , that can be stowed below when desired.

Depending on the load on the system it might work for a trawler .

How to disconnect during manual steering would be the question.

A longer tiller arm would make the system stronger , at the expense of correction ,speed, usually not a problem.

This ram should be in a museum.

It IS in a museum. My boat!

But here's the thing; it's already all hooked up in series with the normal (hydraulic) steering ram. I can't remove it without re-configuring the whole system. IF I could get it working, I might have one less component to buy (two, if you count the hydraulic pump) to get a functioning autopilot.

Sounds like I'm on my own with this one. I'll take off the cover of the "black box" and see if I get any clues from that. Failing that, I can take a guess on what the various colors mean, and just try to power up the ram with jumper wires.

I have a Unipas manual, email me fitzgerrell at yahoo dot com if you still need. You can update with a Comnav if the servo still works. You can remove and replace with a rod of equivalent length if you just want to tidy up.

I have Comnav and it's very good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom