Visual-Prescription Dive Mask

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Art

Guru
Vessel Make
Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Hi all boaters, swimmers, divers...

Due to decreasing vision clarity I’m in process of locating a facility for ordering a prescription dive mask. I have always done my own boat-bottom and apparatus cleaning, checking, replacing as needed on a 3 month basis.

Currently I'm contacting producers of prescription masks. Here I ask for recommendations on manufacturers who have provided good product and service at acceptable costs as well as fast order-receipt time spans. :socool:

Any assistance is appreciated!

Thanks! - Art

Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878.
This place in San Diego has a great reputation among free divers.

Another option, depending on your rx, is to buy a mask that has replacement prescription lenses.
My rx isn't very strong, so I buy a mask that has optional replacement lenses and change them out myself.

Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878.
This place in San Diego has a great reputation among free divers.

Another option, depending on your rx, is to buy a mask that has replacement prescription lenses.
My rx isn't very strong, so I buy a mask that has optional replacement lenses and change them out myself.

Cool - Thanks for input!

I yesterday sent email with my prescript to Linda and Curt of PDM.

My rx scrip is pretty intense. PDM offer mask with optional replacement lens?

I swam free dives when younger (vision was better then) and do under boat maintenance these years with no prescript. Tried glasses under water with water touching them... it's a no-go. Maybe if could keep glasses underneath a mask with no water touching the glass it would work??

I look forward to prescript dive mask... a whole new world under boat should open-up for me! :dance:

Most major dive companies offer masks that you can put premade prescription lens in.

Unless your prescription is odd there is no need to get custom lens glued into a mask.

Most major dive companies offer masks that you can put premade prescription lens in.

Unless your prescription is odd there is no need to get custom lens glued into a mask.

You mean take a pair of script lenses out of frames and simply insert?

Have you a link to such mfg of masks?

I have a couple pair glasses with current rx. Got my first at Costco in wait for a more optioned pair of lens placed into my favorite frames.

No the masks have interchangeable prescription lenses that snap in the frame of the dive mask.

Although there used to be mounts for dive masks where you could clip in a pair of glasses without the eye pieces on them to the face plate of a mask.

Most good dive shops should have a couple of brands of masks that have interchangeable prescription lenses. They come in .5 diopter steps. I think they go to about +/- 6. You can have different strengths in each lens. A really good dive shop will have a pool you can try them out in.

You should try them out before you buy. It took a couple of tries to get mine right. Directly applying my eyeglass prescription did not work out that well.

These lenses work fine for most people. If you have a severe astigmatism or very strong prescription you might not find lenses that work for you. You can get custom ground lenses to your prescription, but these are made to order. Dive magazines should have some of these companies listed.

It's been a while since I did it, but I just bought a mask I liked and had my optician make lenses for it. He did that all the time.

There is a company that makes a mask that will correct almost any prescription. The intersting thing is that it won't work with 20/20 vision. I have no idea how the technology works, but it's really amazing. My vision is 300/20 in one eye and 100/20 in the other. The mask gave me almost perfect vision underwater. The wierd thing is it didn't work out of the water.

I don't remember the brand name. I'll try to find it and post.

There is a company that makes a mask that will correct almost any prescription. The intersting thing is that it won't work with 20/20 vision. I have no idea how the technology works, but it's really amazing. My vision is 300/20 in one eye and 100/20 in the other. The mask gave me almost perfect vision underwater. The wierd thing is it didn't work out of the water.

I don't remember the brand name. I'll try to find it and post.

Wow, that sounds awesome. Hope you recall or know how to find the brand name.

My rx prescription strength is called the "Dog". LOL Can You Guess Why!

SeaVisionUSA

I have used SeaVision to make masks for me several times.

Very happy with the results - I can see!

SeaVisionUSA

Thanks Henry. I've so far found this company does not do my depth of rx prescription. Planning to call them. - Art

While bonded lenses (glued in lenses) are ok, there really not the best choice. The mask that they are glued into is not optical glass, the glue between the lenses is not optical quality, and there is always a risk of the glue failing, developing an imperfection or the glue hazing. Single lense corrections offer the best quality of vision with no risk of glue failure.

Was in the scuba business for 27 years and sold maybe a thousand prescription masks. The bonded lenses probably had a 25% failure rate over a 10 year life. The masks with simple replacement lenses are great, provided you have only a minimal astigmatism. The best choice are the custom ground replacement lenses such as Sea Vision.

I have need a prescription mask for the last 15 years as my arms have gotten shorter. As you age most peoples close up vision goes first so you hold things further away. Reached a point where I couldn't hold the computer display for my rebreather far enough away to read it. This really isn't good when your in 250' of water. So I started with reading lenses only in the bottom half of my mask. For the last 7 years I have been wearing custom ground bifocal lenses from Sea Vision and have been extremely happy.

Final note: a properly made prescription mask doesn't have the same focus out of the water as your glasses. They adjust the prescription to take into account the water's apparent magnification.

Ted

SeaVisionUSA

OC is correct regarding out of water. I have bifocals in my mask, and the "bifocal" lenses are for up close work (reading gauges, etc). That will only be in focus underwater. My "main" lenses however do work out of water; I wear them when driving the boat in the pouring rain.

While bonded lenses (glued in lenses) are ok, there really not the best choice. The mask that they are glued into is not optical glass, the glue between the lenses is not optical quality, and there is always a risk of the glue failing, developing an imperfection or the glue hazing. Single lense corrections offer the best quality of vision with no risk of glue failure.

Was in the scuba business for 27 years and sold maybe a thousand prescription masks. The bonded lenses probably had a 25% failure rate over a 10 year life. The masks with simple replacement lenses are great, provided you have only a minimal astigmatism. The best choice are the custom ground replacement lenses such as Sea Vision.

I have need a prescription mask for the last 15 years as my arms have gotten shorter. As you age most peoples close up vision goes first so you hold things further away. Reached a point where I couldn't hold the computer display for my rebreather far enough away to read it. This really isn't good when your in 250' of water. So I started with reading lenses only in the bottom half of my mask. For the last 7 years I have been wearing custom ground bifocal lenses from Sea Vision and have been extremely happy.

Final note: a properly made prescription mask doesn't have the same focus out of the water as your glasses. They adjust the prescription to take into account the water's apparent magnification.

Ted

Thanks Ted - That's some in-depth experience you provide.

Again, Thanks! - Art :socool:

OC is correct regarding out of water. I have bifocals in my mask, and the "bifocal" lenses are for up close work (reading gauges, etc). That will only be in focus underwater. My "main" lenses however do work out of water; I wear them when driving the boat in the pouring rain.

That's better than any other rain glasses I can think of.

this is what i use. I think they work great. Call leisurepro for a better price than what they advertise on line. I got 2 pairs for about $40 each a few years ago.

Attachments

• 73671803_o1.jpg
    73671803_o1.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 61
this is what i use. I think they work great. Call leisurepro for a better price than what they advertise on line. I got 2 pairs for about $40 each a few years ago.

Thanks! I'll call em. - Art

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom