Hella Marine Nav Light, Ridiculous Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kthoennes

Guru
Vessel Name
Xanadu
Vessel Make
Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Okay, here's a really dumb question. We just bought a new (to us) boat. It has Hella Marine 2984 nav lights. Port side needs a new bulb. The housing has no screws, it's snap-in, snap-out. How the heck do I get the housing off? What's the Chinese puzzle box secret to snapping the housing off? I've googled this to death, went to Hella Marine's site, YouTube, no luck. I must have to stick a screwdriver on some release tab somewhere, but I don't want to chew up the housing. Pain in the neck. Thanks. Karl

2 NM Port Navigation Lamp - Navigation Lamps, Port - Hella Marine

On the bottom is a square tab push it with your finger then pull from the bottom outward.

I just fixed one that someone had thrown away. Mine's an anchor light -- and the plastic that holds the base (ground wire) had cracked. I've not yet glued it in -- it's seated okay until the boat moves when vibration will make it wobble.

This is the guts:

HellaLightBroken.jpg

What glue would you use to make it permanent? These doggone things are $140 new (crazy) and I have no idea what I'm going to do with it. I haven't yet soldered the wires -- just placed them and tested.

First I tried a LED I had -- not bright enough. So I put back the piece that had broken and temporarily attached wires. It works -- I think the base was loose so the owner just opted to buy a new one.

Here it is all put together:

HellaLightSkipper.jpg

Ah, thanks so much N4712, that's it. I couldn't see the bottom of the housing since it's mounted in a niche on the flybridge cowling, but there 's just enough space in there for me to squeeze my little finger in under the housing and pop that tab. Thanks again, you got it.

Back
Top Bottom