Salmon fishing off oregon coast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thor

Vessel Name
Colby Lee
:ermm:Hello new to site. Just want some info on when does anyone know when the fish will be heading up the Columbia river here in Oregon? Guys are out and waiting.

No idea about the fish.

I see you're from Winchester Bay. I spend 2 weeks there helping a friend fit out a 45' fish boat ..... the Nord. About 20 years ago. He wanted me to help him take the boat to Alaska. I jumped ship in Everett WA. I sure remember the bar though. Only half the fishermen thought it was a good idea to go. We went. We did the goldfish bowl thing in the 45 footer .. Went around the bouy just beyond the breakwater and headed north. Had a half-a-dozen engine failures from crud in the fuel .... did filters 101. It was a screwball adventure on the high seas. Ran over the Columbia Bar in 15' seas at night w the CG on the horn. Back out from Ilwaco the next day. Engine quit one final time rounding Cape Flattery. Plenty of time to play w filters as the tide was ebbing. Like I say .. I jumped ship.

We're not that kind of trawler, Thor. While some of us fish with hook and line recreationally, we are, for the most part, a slow powerboat cruising community. Don't get me wrong, we embrace our fast boat brethren into the fold, but only in the hope that they can be forgiven, redeemed and reconverted into the slow boat cruising world.

Hey...there's always hope for the lost and misinformed.

They opened the springers (Spring Chinook) on the Columbia for two more days this past weekend and most of my friends made a killing. It is closed now, but the next run is sockeye and steelhead in a few weeks, so I am told.

Some have told me that the Columbia River Springers are some of the best sweet tasting salmon in the world. We will see as Sockeye (Reds) are my favorite.

Back
Top Bottom