Setting sights on Bahamas with many questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Annacapri
This November I will be heading to Florida and then across to the Bahamas. I will probably be traveling alone but hope to meet up with some like minded travelers. I have no wish to become a target of theft or otherwise and would like to know some of the safer parts to travel to. Anchorages etc.
I'll be bringing a dink along so plan on anchoring out. I don't necessarily want to bring a gun, although I am highly skilled with one. I would prefer to stay in areas away from crowds.
I'm adding an alarm system as well as security locks for the dink and motor.
All thoughts and input from anyone with experience going there is greatly appreciated as well as meeting a group that is planning a trip there next winter.
Thank you

You'll be fine with or with out a gun. The Bahamas is a relatively safe place.

The Bahamas is a relatively safe place.

I'd stay out of Freeport or Nassau. They have the same problems as any large city. Lock or hoist your dinghy at night. Why tempt someone? We've never locked the boat in the Bahamas and have never had a problem. It's great cruising! :)

Five years ago I purchased a new Rib with a 15 hp Yamaha outboard. I put fake patches on the dinghy. I took a can of spray paint and with masking tape, painted custom strips on the outboard cover, after removing all of the factory decals. I took off the 15 from the back of the engine cover and got an "8" from Walmart and stuck that on the engine. That was five years ago, 18,000 miles ago and I still have both the Rib and my 15 hp Yamaha. All of our travels were from the Florida Keys up to Long Island Sound and the Martha's Vineyard area.

I'd stay out of Freeport or Nassau. They have the same problems as any large city. Lock or hoist your dinghy at night. Why tempt someone? We've never locked the boat in the Bahamas and have never had a problem. It's great cruising! :)

+1

But I've never had any problems in either Nassau or Freeport. Just use common sense.

Currently in Nassau heading for Harbour Island.

Last edited:
Since 2007 we have spent at least 9 months total in the Bahamas. We have never had a single incident of crime of any sort nor have I ever felt threatened. On the contrary, one of the best things about the country is the openness and honesty of its people.

I own guns, but other than shooting skeet off the transom on the way over I can't imagine needing one there. Way more trouble than they are worth.

Only caveat I have is that I have never been to Nassau by boat. I have been to Freeport though.

Neat trick, never want to have the best dink at the dock! Ours hanging on weaver davits give a nice graying color from many miles of diesel.
Five years ago I purchased a new Rib with a 15 hp Yamaha outboard. I put fake patches on the dinghy. I took a can of spray paint and with masking tape, painted custom strips on the outboard cover, after removing all of the factory decals. I took off the 15 from the back of the engine cover and got an "8" from Walmart and stuck that on the engine. That was five years ago, 18,000 miles ago and I still have both the Rib and my 15 hp Yamaha. All of our travels were from the Florida Keys up to Long Island Sound and the Martha's Vineyard area.

I'd be no more or no less fearful of the Bahamas as any area in the US.

As to Nassau, we love it. But we then love the secluded and remote islands too.

Stay out of Nassau. Secure your dink at night. The Exumas & Eleuthera are great for those who prefer less crowded spots. The Abacos are great for first timers. There are lots of hide away places yet you are still close to provisions if needed.

+1

But I've never had any problems in either Nassau or Freeport. Just use common sense.

Currently in Nassau heading for Harbour Island.

The big theft item these days are 25-35' rigged center console boats with large multiple Yamaha engines.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom