Straight from Berrys to Exumas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dougcole

Guru
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
'05 Mainship 40T
Hey All,

I'm planning out our Exumas trip for this coming summer. Though we have spent tons of time in the Abacos, we have not been to the Exumas.

My plan is to Go Lauderdale to Bimini, Bimini to Berrys and then bypass New Providence/Nassau straight to the Exumas. I've been to Nassau before (though not by boat) and I was not impressed. We are not really resort people so Atlantis holds little to no appeal, especially at $4.35 a foot, 50' Minimum.

We only have about 3 weeks for the entire trip, so I don't want to waste time in less desirable areas.

What do you think of going straight from Berrys to Northern Exumas? We can fuel up at Chub Cay. Our fast cruise is 15 knots, it looks like about 70nm to Highbourne Cay, so about 5.5 hours to be on the safe side. The big water stretch is from Berrys to Nassau, so if we needed to we could duck into Nassau.

Thoughts?

Also, any recommendations on best marina in Bimini? There seems to be a lot of choices.

TIA.
Doug

We did Chub to Highbourne in one day. You can do it easily at 15 knots. In Bimini Bluewater is the best IMO.

Doug, good choice to go straight to the Exumas. Nassau and Freeport hold nothing for me. They are certainly not representative of the rest of the beautiful islands. Crime is not publicized in those cities, but the rate is high even perpetrated on tourists. I say the out islands are what the Bahamas are about.

Thanks Guys,

I am really leaning in that direction unless it is just too nasty to make the run in one day. We can always hit Atlantis on the way back if we feel the need. Chub is pretty pricey too, but I think we can anchor out in the area and just use Chub for fuel and water if needed.

Generally, how is the crossing in the NW Providence Channel in the summer? No Gluf Stream current I know, but still big water.

For a layover you can try the west bay on New Providence, No need to stop in Nassau.

For a layover you can try the west bay on New Providence, No need to stop in Nassau.

:thumb: It's a very good anchorage in anything but westerly. There's a park on the SE with good shore access. You can leave West Bay in the dark and get to Bimini or Gun Cay via the Northwest Channel. It's about 107 miles from West Bay to Bimini..

Last edited:
The cheapest fuel is in Nassau so I'd top off there not Chub.

If you stop in Chub but don't need fuel don't go to Chub stay on the east end of Frazers at the Berry Islands Club.

Check Active Captain.

I anchored twice at Chubb, on my way from and to Nassau.

Back
Top Bottom