Best and least first voyage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddalme

Vessel Name
Relenti
Vessel Make
Atlantic 30, 1983
Well, had a breakdown, so had to leave the boat in Pascagoula, Ms. Going to be a great story when I finish the trip in May.

Dang it! Sorry to hear you had to shorten the trip home. Hope nothing too serious with Relenti ....more importantly are crew and captain OK?

No problems with crew. Everyone in good spirits. Tony, former captain, oiler, engineer, worked his ass off getting the thing apart. Took six hours(frozen and broken bolts, etc) but after many refreshment breaks, he got it done. Had to borrow a puller and some tools from Les that lives across from the marina. Can't thank him enough. Everyone from the slip owner, harbor master, tow boat guy and fellow slip owners have been fantastic. Heck, the only one that didn't check on us was the mayor.LOL Can probably get it back together in about and hour. I ordered every nut, bolt and bracket and will not reuse any of the old hardware. Parts should be here today. Problem I have is, I leave on the 13th on a Panama cruise. Gives me no time to get it back. I think Tony and David will go over and repair it this weekend or next and just leave it in the slip until I get back. Then we'll restart our adventure. The boat is safe where it is, so I'm not too worried about it. Hay, we'll have something to talk about for a long time. Forgot to say, the circulation water pump froze up. Didn't have that as a spare.LOL BUT, I'll have one now!!!

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr.dd. "...so I'm not too worried about it..." That's the spirit. No sense getting your knickers in a knot...It's all good. I think it's a subsection of Murphy's law that the only things that will break are the ones you don't have spares for...
Was changing a fuel lift pump underway at one point (yes, I DID have a spare) and dropped a nut which promptly disappeared under the engine. Had EVERY sized nut from a #2-56 to a 1-8 except....wait for it....Yes, that 5/16-24 that was hiding...

RT
Had to laugh about dropping the nut. Been there done that. We ran into a problem with a bolt behind the pulley on the water pump-they are all suppose to be 12mm.--11mm, 12mm, 7/16, 1/2, 13/32(Who carries that) didn't fit. I'm thinking it must be a 11 1/2mm. LOL Hammered the 11mm socket onto it and got the beast off. It will not go back into service after that. A real PIA.

Never thought of the water pump or fuel pump spare for the engine. Looks like I got some learning to do still.

Never thought of the water pump or fuel pump spare for the engine. Looks like I got some learning to do still.

Oh we've replaced a water pump 2 days from land before. Its a good spare to have in my opinion.

Greetings,
Mr. 7. Not a question of learning, simply what you're willing to carry and have the space for same. On board we have:
Water pump, fuel lift pump (NOT injector pump), starter motor, heat exchanger, oil and transmission coolers, alternator as well as the "usual" spares (belts, filters, gasket material, fluids etc.).
In lieu of all that, a good tow insurance package would suffice.

Got the space. I thought I was slick having spare impellers.

I have some of those spares. Most of all I have a second engine and TOW insurance.:whistling:

Yep. Joined towboatUS before pulling out of green turtle bay.

My boat's PO installed electric fuel boost pumps (#6 below) which can be activated in case of a lift pump failure. He didn't wire them up, so I'll tackle that at a future date, but the wires are all run and just need switches to activate them.

img_323630_0_538417e9d52a3bf97f718ecd6826c1fa.jpg

flywright
Be very careful with running those pumps when the lift pump fails. If the pump ruptures a diaphram you could induce diesel into the engine oil. The best way would be to remove the lift pump and install a blocking plate and gasket then use the pumps. Or bypass the lift pump completely.

Good point, ddalme. I'd need to watch the oil level to ensure the oil doesn't get fuel-diluted. Bypassing the pump with a short hose and a couple caps for the lift pump fittings would be a simple field fix.

I like having a wiring diagram too of as many components as possible. As for the breakdown I always look it as an adventure more than a set back. You made many new friends and who knows what else.....

Crew drove over to boat yesterday and after drilling out a couple of broken bolts got the engine back together today and made a test run. Looks like they got it fixed. Funny, I'm looking forward to running the boat back home more than my trip through the Panama canal starting tomorrow. LOL Can't thank the crew enough and Mary at Action Master Diesel Service in Norfolk. She made it happen getting the assortment of parts and fasteners to me. Also, all the people at the marina. Their hospitality is terrific!

Crew drove over to boat yesterday and after drilling out a couple of broken bolts got the engine back together today and made a test run. Looks like they got it fixed. Funny, I'm looking forward to running the boat back home more than my trip through the Panama canal starting tomorrow. LOL Can't thank the crew enough and Mary at Action Master Diesel Service in Norfolk. She made it happen getting the assortment of parts and fasteners to me. Also, all the people at the marina. Their hospitality is terrific!

Been thru the canal a couple of times. You'll love it. I can however relate. When I was much younger I bought my first luxury car. I drove it home and the next day left on a vacation. I spent 10 expensive vacation days sitting on a beach in Mexico thinking about the new Mercedes sitting in the garage at home. Suggest you bring sleeping pills. Enjoy!

Hey ddalme, I live in Pascagoula and have a Mainship34. If there's any way I can help, let me know. I'm out of town a lot but if I'm in town, I'm usually available.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom