Poll: Shoes or no shoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you remove shoes...

• No shoes in home or on boat

Votes: 25 21.6%
  • No shoes on boat but shoes in my home

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • No shoes in my home but shoes on my boat

Votes: 16 13.8%
  • Shoes both at home and on boat

Votes: 68 58.6%

• Total voters

BandB

Guru
From another thread, this question arose. So do you wear shoes and allow your guests to wear shoes on your boat and/or in your home.

I voted shoes both at home and on boat, but with one exception -- when we are fishing and the decks are bloody (unfortunately, many trips have no blood), then no shoes inside.

Shoes are a matter of safety. As a longtime sailor (now in a power cruiser) I have a strong distaste for stubbing toes on a deck fitting.

Greetings,
Shoes. Without a doubt. Toe stubbing is the big one but errant fish hooks are in #2 spot. Slips and slides, sunburn also on the list.
RDFwa0P.gif

Having gone barefoot and dealing with two broken toes (same toe both times), a massive heal bruise from accidentially jumping on a cleat (from boat to dock), and sliding off of a slipery swim platform, I'm a firm believer in shoes on the boat. Comming from sail, like Moby Nick, it really is a safety issue for us.

It's too cold and wet to do otherwise. Shoes all the time. I do take off the XtraTufs before I come in as they are too hot for inside wear.

Tom

I have indoor and outdoor shoes.
But same goes for clothes!

I go in stocking feet at home but wear shoes on the boat deck. Stubbing one's toe on the steel frames along the gunwale is too painful/dangerous.

Shoes. I suppose if you've got cave-man feet, it's no issue, but I'm a tender-foot and I need the safety and support.

Shoes but not in bed.

Eric,
Because you have lived in SE you will understand this story about a fisherman. A dentist friend of mine was trying to explain to his fisherman client that it is not good to sleep with his denture in his mouth. The fisherman was strongly resisting the advice. Out of frustration the dentist asked the fisherman if he slept with his extra tuffs on and the fisherman replied "sometimes". The dentist said "okay" to those nights but the other nights take the denture out.
Ken

Wearing shoes in one's home must be an American thing... I think it is absolutely gross to be walking in public restrooms and then come home and walk around your house with the same shoes. People take their shoes off before coming in my home. They usually see that I am wearing socks and understand my preference without me saying something. It keeps my carpet and tile clean.

I definitely understand the safety concern on a boat but shoes are hot and Florida can very hot. Not wearing shoes keeps the decks scuff free but I have burned my feet on a hot deck! Ouch!

I voted shoes both aboard and at home.
However, in the house no muddy, sandy (winter time from sanding the walkways)or greasy shoes.
On the boat ONLY non marking soles, otherwise shoes come off.

What kind of soles in today's shoes do you find to be marking?

Most that have black soles mark the fiberglass. So do most safety shoes (yes sometimes I go directly from work to the boat and I'm wearing safety shoes), and "**** kicker" style work boots.

Boat shoes do not mark, Crocs do not mark, most white soled "sneaker" types do not mark, flips flops do not mark.

It is normally never a problem with other boaters, it's non boating guests that need to be told.

If "hot" is an issue, wear sandals. I wear them everywhere in Summer, having "dress" sandals as well as "work" sandals. In keeping with my adversity to stubbing toes, out in the yard, on the boat, wherever, I always buy sandals which cover my toes.

Shoes on the boat, but just remodeled at home and installed heated tile floors, so socks all the way.

Most that have black soles mark the fiberglass. So do most safety shoes (yes sometimes I go directly from work to the boat and I'm wearing safety shoes), and "**** kicker" style work boots.

Boat shoes do not mark, Crocs do not mark, most white soled "sneaker" types do not mark, flips flops do not mark.

It is normally never a problem with other boaters, it's non boating guests that need to be told.

I don't wear them to the boat typically but I don't think black soled tennis shoes and basketball shoes mark today. I think they're more colorfast. Now I may need to do a test. Mostly what I've seen is shoes that are polished, black sole dress shoes. And they really mark from the side of the sole where polish is.

As an aside, I know people don't associate them with boat shoes, but Nike makes some great ones. They are light and the right kind of soles, but have more cushioning inside than a lot of boat shoes.

I don't wear them to the boat typically but I don't think black soled tennis shoes and basketball shoes mark today. I think they're more colorfast. Now I may need to do a test. Mostly what I've seen is shoes that are polished, black sole dress shoes. And they really mark from the side of the sole where polish is.
A couple of years ago my son in law had sneakers that marked the fiberglass.
And 2 years ago I changed companies that shrink wrap my boat for winter because they wore shoes that scuffed/marked up the fiberglass.

A couple of years ago my son in law had sneakers that marked the fiberglass.
And 2 years ago I changed companies that shrink wrap my boat for winter because they wore shoes that scuffed/marked up the fiberglass.

Very interesting. The ones who were notorious at home were plumbers. Finally however they've gone to wearing disposable covers over their shoes it seems.

For the most part, we're no shoes. Our cruising grounds are warm climates with sand and salt. Since we live on the boat all the shoes/sandals come off at the door or are left in the dinghy. We have a fresh water hose by the transom door and have even asked guests (sometimes) to rinse their feet, same as we do.

Last edited:
For the most part, we're no shoes. Our cruising grounds are warm climates with sand and salt. Since we live on the boat all the shoes/sandals come off at the door or are left in the dinghy. We have a fresh water hose by the transom door and have even asked guests (sometimes) to rinse their feet, same as we do.

Definitely a good idea to rinse feet and to have a towel available. And if allowing shoes, then a mat as you would at home.

Shoes on if we're underway, docking, etc. Shoes off for hanging out at anchor or the dock.

That's for me. Passengers can do as they please. You won't be able to notice any shoe scuff marks on old Moon Dance!

Another question comes to mind too. What if your main deck is all teak? Does that change your thoughts?

Just to clarify, when I voted shoes on the boat, I was thinking that includes Teva or similar sandals, which is what I wear during the warmer months. As for soles, both my last pair of Tevas and current pair of Teva lookalikes (can't recall the brand) have black soles but have never left a mark on deck. Hiking boots in winter when I shovel the boat do leave marks, but they bleach out by summer. In addition to safety, I like wearing shoes or sandals becuase I have flat feet and spending all day standing can be a bit painful. Flipflops for me are just as uncomfortable as boing barefoot.

Related question - shoes in the water or barefoot? We raft up quite often in an area with a sandy bottom, but due to the number of boats that use the bay (and possible resulting glass or metal on the bottom), large clams, and murky water, I never go in barefoot if I'm in enough water to stand. Beaches in clear blue water I'll go barefoot.

We always wear shoes on the boat as do our guests. We take our shoes off in our house and when entering other people's homes. For me this is a long-time habit learned when growing up in Hawaii.

Related question - shoes in the water or barefoot? We raft up quite often in an area with a sandy bottom, but due to the number of boats that use the bay (and possible resulting glass or metal on the bottom), large clams, and murky water, I never go in barefoot if I'm in enough water to stand. Beaches in clear blue water I'll go barefoot.

100% with you. I grew up and then we lived on an inland lake. I was with someone one day when I was young who stepped on glass in an area their obviously shouldn't have been any. She ended up in ER getting stitched up that night. Normally we swim and use the water where it's deep and so we don't touch, but if wading to shore in murky water, I will wear shoes.

We always wear shoes on the boat as do our guests. We take our shoes off in our house and when entering other people's homes. For me this is a long-time habit learned when growing up in Hawaii.

It's interesting to us to both see the responses and to understand the reasoning or where the tradition came from.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom