Ocean Alexander appears to be in Merritt Island FL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stubones99

Guru
I just drove by the former Bertram facility and they have changed the name with the Ocean Alexander logo on the building. I guess that's good news! I wonder the story behind the last Bertram yacht that's been sitting in their side lot?

Not surprising. OA has been a very popular PNW boat for many years. They recently have begun to introduce some larger models to their fleet.

Good for OA!

Yes, but an interesting aside on that. It's supposedly not OA directly but another company formed to build for them. Now, the plan was to build 60' and below. I'm wondering what their plan is now for the larger boats since Christensen was building them and is not operating any more.

Basically right next door, Sea Ray is reopening the other factory (Sea Ray owned both facilities at one time). So Merritt Island going from no builders to two quickly. Not back at the size they once were but a very good thing.

Sea Ray is owned by Brunswick, as is a bunch of others, like Boston Whaler, etc...

In the end, there will be Brunswick and Walmart.

Stu

Sea Ray is owned by Brunswick, as is a bunch of others, like Boston Whaler, etc...

In the end, there will be Brunswick and Walmart.

Stu

Yes, Brunswick is the largest boat builder in the country but their percentage of the worldwide boat market is still not that high. Sea Ray had closed both plants and now is reopening the smaller one. Brunswick over the last couple of years has actually sold brands, selling Hatteras and Cabo. So, I don't see any new threat here. Actually the boats that have led to the reopening of this facility by Sea Ray are the L-Class.

I read in one of the trade publications that Ferretti had sold the Bertram brand to another Italian company. The new company said that they were going to take Bertram back to it's roots and will make the classic 31 again. I wonder where they are going to do it.

I read in one of the trade publications that Ferretti had sold the Bertram brand to another Italian company. The new company said that they were going to take Bertram back to it's roots and will make the classic 31 again. I wonder where they are going to do it.

Yes, sold to Baglietto. No idea what they'll do or if they'll do anything. Hard to picture them exporting a 31' Bertram from Italy to the US. Their other brand is Cerri which has 86', 100', and 102' boats and is a very low volume builder. As much as Bertram was a mismatch for Ferretti, it would seem to be much more so for Bagletto. I will be shocked to see a revived Bertram line of any sort.

The original Bertram factory is sitting empty. I wouldn't mind them moving back to Miami but that won't happen.

Back
Top Bottom