Tugs lifelong fascination

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

REAL MOUNTIE

Vessel Name
REAL MOUNTIE
Vessel Make
1986 PILGRIM 40 HULL No 28
This is one of our best memorable picture taken on our trip from Fort Pierce, Fl in Spring 2009 :

Which statement inspire You?

Mama Tug leaning on Papa Tug in New York Harbor on a Foggy morning?

Or

Papa Tug watching Baby Tug hugging Mama Tug in Cruising New York Harbor on a Foogy Morning?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 337
That's a wonderful picture. Daddy wanted a tug boat -- a real working tug. I think it was the stand up bilge that appealed. Tugs will always hold a special spot in my heart.

Thanks for the great picture Real Mountie

Looks like the larger, older, worn out and tired tug is leaning on the scrappy, stronger, more energetic youngster.

Both of those boats are owned by Sea Wolf Marine in NJ. They are well known fixtures in the NY area.
Last week the Sea Bear sunk off of Long Island NY while returning from a dredging job. The Capt was killed.

In the PNW there are tugs built in the 1930 still operation. 15+ years ago we moored in the marine with the tug Challenger, 100 ft, and another 75 ft. Both where a historically bed and bunk on lake union. Both were thick doubl planked. The bug heavy Cat single engine. Originally both where direct drive no transmission. The engine had to be shot down and the cam switched over and then started back up. The engines where slow turning down as slow as 100 rpm, but they turn huge pops, 8 ft.

Most have been up grade with a transmission as the caused to much damage plowing thru boats and docks. To start the big main engine the started a small engine that powerd a air compressure to turn over the big one. The warm up the ties to the dock in reverse. We crewed ans help several times.

I am sad to learn this. I would like to express my condoleances and sympathy to the family and friends of the deceased Captain.

Back
Top Bottom