Sea Cock remote shutoff?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cappy208

Guru
Vessel Name
Slip Aweigh
Vessel Make
Prairie 29
Looking for any ideas on an extension for the main engine seacock lever. Tired of crawling into ER to open, shut. It's about 28" from seacock to galley deck. The PO installed a nifty threaded rod rube goldberg contraption on the gen set. But the location of the Main seacock prohibits the protrusion in the galley. Any other ideas using teleflex, or other ideas? I haven't found any thing commercially made that is quick and simple. Any one else found anything that works?

I know.... Who would bother to shut off the seacocks when not in use!

Groco makes a remotely operated seacock. It's electrical, not mechanical, and it has a remote indicator so you can tell if it's open or closed. Not cheap, but it's nice.

I'm allergic to putting electronics (other than bilge pumps) in the bilge. Just a simple mechanical lever, rod, or shaft. I found some models on the net, but they seem to bind up when fully open.

Or use an old engine shut off cable. You could mount it next to your ignition so you are unlikely to forget to open it. Here's one used on a fuel valve.

Attachments

• fpb-64-1-fuel-system-6-1.jpg
    fpb-64-1-fuel-system-6-1.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
I saw the Groco item. I'm trying to find the source for the stainless plate, which is U bolted to the seacock, to give some lateral shape to a 'push pull' rod or cable in line with the path of the handle. I may have to get creative and make my own plate. But I have seen (over the past 30 years or so) a drop in place part. Just can't pin point it.

The reach rod idea is not doable in this case. Not enough clearance on the side of the battery box to make the 90 degree transition. Looking for something like this: Marineparts.com - REMOTE SEACOCK OPERATION ARM But with a firm base to align the handle to as it 'throws' open and close.

@ AusCan: Actually, your comment about forgetting it is pretty good. I do like the 'look' as I crawl through the side of the compartment to see if anything's amiss though. But my bad back is making the trek a not to be looked toward time each time I shut down.

But, I do look over the transom to look for the friendly sputter once started.

So i googled "valve reach rods" I think FF has a nice solution here.

back in the day, in the Navy, we had air operated valve shut offs...Grainger sells them.. oh, wait, you said economical... sorry. :facepalm:

So i googled "valve reach rods" I think FF has a nice solution here.
That would be OK, Except for the lack of space to fit a U joint in the area. Also. except for the binding that happens when you reach full open or close on a 'push pull rod' as evidenced by the other post I put up.

Looking for comments from others who have conquered the binding of a remote extention.

AusCan has an excellent suggestion. The other 'teleflex' idea is good too.

Looking for others experience on the topic. If it was as easy as 'a google search' it would be done already.

Cappy, I don't think Bowden Cable will be strong enough for your use. Bowden might pull the handle one way but it won't push it back the other. A large seacock can take a lot of effort to move the handle.

Bowden used to be common on boats to use as throttle, choke, and spark advance control but it went away when Teleflex Cables came along. Look at figures 679, 692,353, and 352 on the following 1971 Perko catalog page.

I think you need to be looking at a heavy Teleflex cable and maybe a throttle control to activate it. It's going to take some creative engineering.

Take another look at the Groco E-Valve. I think it would save you a lot of head aches.
cat-pg2-fbve-smlr.jpg

Thanks for the link. I just have to find the terminal ends to connect and the frame to swing in line to make it work.

It is a concept and the heavier teleflex may be a better choice depending on the length of the run. (and your wallet)

Considering the job and the amount of money you want to throw at it, maybe a used cable that has been replaced on some other boat because it was not as precise anymore. Or a parts boat.

Would a wireless valve opener work well? Likely yes. While I like electronics very much, there is someting to say for a mechanical connection. The aircraft industry has long ago moved from mechanical to electronic and the automotive industry is in the middle of this. (IMO which means jack) The price of electronic versus electronic is rather expensive for a consumer. My valve on my smaller boat hangs out in a rough neighborhood. Near a bunch of heat and subject to lot of vibration and spillage if the party gets out of hand top side. Would an electronic version do well? Hope so and a mechanical version is so low tech. For me I open a hatch and it is right there. (I do have to shut down the power plant and usually it is off when I move the valve)

Just some thoughts ....

>>>>>>>>>Action

I forgot to attach the Perko catalog page.

Attachments

• File0098.PDF
    469.8 KB · Views: 55
Looks like the teleflex is the ideal candidate. Thanks for the input.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom