Repower help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

old no.7

I'm trying to find out the best way to repower a Tolly 26 that has a 5.7 mer cruiser that is carbureted. Ideally I'd like to be able to run at 15-18 knots without stressing the motor too much. A plug and play system with my current v-drive and other systems would be the best. Any ideas?

Look into Marine Power in Ponchatoula, LA. They provide GM based marinized engines and gears. I don't remember the company name to look under to be able to buy direct, but I suggest you call Tyler Baker and he could help you.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Is the current engine big enough to provide the speed you need?

If its just worn out Jasper does good rebuilds .

Factory new the Crusader brand probably does the best engines from new.

But as always you get what you pay for,,

Last edited:
Tolly 26 Re Power

Several years ago when we had our 26, I had our 255 Merc rebuilt and upgraded to make it a 383. I was very pleased with it. I blogged about it and you can see it here:
Engine & Transmission Re-Install | The Tolly Roger Blog

I would also suggest you post your question on the Tollycraft Club Forum
Tollycraft Boating Club Forums

There are several people that have recently taken this on including the current club president who I believe had a new Crusader engine installed.

You should get lots of information and answers.

The best and easiest replacement is going to be another Mercruiser small block. Either a 5.7 or a 6.2. Either should have the same footprint. They new MPI models are compatible with these drives:

ZF 63A Down Angle
ZF 63IV V-Drive

There are other options including Carb available out there as well.

More information would be helpful. The first thing I would do is looking at reproping and trim as its a lot cheaper. A less pitch prop would easier on the engine. All three of my boats are under prop.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom