Which boat do we want?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danderer

Guru
Vessel Name
Infinity
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 48
OK, this is another one of 'those' questions but with a maybe a twist. I'm looking now more to learn about the manufacturers we should investigate rather than specific boats.

The way we usually buy the next boat is to start a couple years beforehand by figuring out what manufacturers and models might be appropriate. We then have plenty of time to view examples, talk to owners when we encounter them, research and reflect, and daydream. That process has worked well in finding boats that meet our needs.

We're now starting that process for the 'next' boat - a trawler in the 45'-50' range. I'll confess I know little of the manufacturers who serve that market and so this request for ideas.

We're looking to focus on a pilothouse trawler with fly bridge, single or twin, with stabilizers. It'll be used by the two of us for extended east-coast cruising from the Maritimes to the islands.

We're also looking for a boat no more than 10 years old. We'd like to keep the budget under $750K.

The KK48 seems to be a good fit for our needs. An N47 might work (haven't seen one in person, but the N40 is a nice boat albeit too small for our tastes).

What other manufacturers should we look for? Lurking here and browsing yachtworld I'm guessing DeFever, Selene and Ocean Alexander should be on our radar.

Thanks in advance.

You could narrow down the field by deciding if you really need blue water capable long range or not. The long range blue water boats will be more expensive and there will be less choice. The majority of well found power boats in your stated size range can do the east coast and islands provided diligent weather tracking. The next choice to make is cruising speed desired and that will further point you in the right direction. If you want to have the option of faster than hull speed you will be looking at SD or planning hulls. The next choice you have to make is how much cottage you need on your hull. Does the admiral need all the comforts of home and lots of interior volume and storage? If the answer is yes you need a bigger bulkier boat and there are many such boats available since the market for the last several years has catered to retired couples who want a traveling cottage on the water. Good luck and enjoy your search.

I started this process a while ago except for the PNW waters.
I too started looking at KK, Nordhavens and then Selenes.
After a while I realized my "mission" was not crossing the ocean or serious blue water cruising-I wanted to poke around the Inside Passage--with the occasional open water runs but no ocean crossing.

Then it slowly dawned on me that these boats would be great for my intended purposes but I didn't have to have one of them to have a safe, comfortable, reliable boat.
This pretty much opened up everything else.
There are a whole lot of boats out there which will meet my needs-the trick is to blend in my "desires" with a little touch of budget matching

Ocean Alexander, Cherubini, Eagle, Northern Pacific, Grand Banks, Compass, Bayliner, Mainship, Sabre, Carver and a whole lot more.

If I had wanted to cross oceans on a boat, I'd have gotten a Diesel Duck. Settled on a gunkholing, "coastal cruiser" since I sail in protected waters.

If I had wanted to cross oceans on a boat, I'd have gotten a Diesel Duck. Settled on a gunkholing, "coastal cruiser" since I sail in protected waters.

You also have to not be embarrassed at the look of the D.D
:)
Hollywood

You also have to not be embarrassed at the look of the D.D
:)
Hollywood

Huh? They're beeyoutafull!

522276_0_070620101141_1.jpg

The sail rig does it a aesthetic disservice.

I have used all my boats to get outside.. on the ducks a comfortable "outside" living space is an afterthought at best. but there is no denying they are very economical and capable boats.
Hollywood

I have used all my boats to get outside.. on the ducks a comfortable "outside" living space is an afterthought at best. but there is no denying they are very economical and capable boats.
Hollywood

Seems to me most outside living space on "trawlers" is largely limited to flying bridges where one is subject to violent rolls unless one is docked. On the Coot (sans FB), guests spend any outdoor time on the foredeck or in the after-cockpit. Me? I stay mostly in the pilothouse.

232323232%7Ffp635%3C2%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3A3%3A34%3B5%3A336nu0mrj

img_310426_1_f8506240c4505edae384881cb9a0a86c.jpg

Seems to me most outside living space on "trawlers" is largely limited to flying bridges where one is subject to violent rolls unless one is docked. On the Coot (sans FB), guests spend any outdoor time on the foredeck or in the after-cockpit. Me? I stay mostly in the pilothouse.

232323232%7Ffp635%3C2%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3A3%3A34%3B5%3A336nu0mrj

img_310428_1_f8506240c4505edae384881cb9a0a86c.jpg

I have to disagree with the violent roll excuse... I mean you're not going to be relaxing on the FB in 6-10's.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1424663093.604940.jpg

N4712, you must spend your time in very calm waters. Here I am holding onto dear life while on FlyWright anchored in San Francisco Bay:

img_310433_0_af0cd794a976d81dc17347e7efaa5300.jpg

img_310433_1_62d0f6c3744ce45870f1c8aa01927301.jpg

Last edited:
One can do better with the proper equipment and liquid adjustment (red plastic cup, I'll fill you up, let's have a party ...):

img_310434_0_fb7e097f9097973a7ed85a5520a6899e.jpg

Don't you confront a strong tidal current opposite the wind? In "protected" SF estuarian waters:

img_310444_0_b9c9bd32c14c013e308962cf98a3fa43.jpg

I've confronted the Gulfstream which runs north at 3 knots with a N wind at 20 knots. If we're beating into it sucks, but if it's in the beam or behind us were just fine. Normal wave heights with that kind of wind range from 6-10ft depending on where you are in the Gulfstream.

Sorry for totally derailing this thread OP. Back to topic, if you have any questions about the N47 I'm happy to answer them.

OK, this is another one of 'those' questions but with a maybe a twist. I'm looking now more to learn about the manufacturers we should investigate rather than specific boats.........

Hi Danderer,
Welcome to the forum!
As others have mentioned, more detail into your general preferences will more easily narrow the debate. I would also consider draft. As the boat gets larger, often the draft gets deeper which may effect some the areas you plan to cruise. Also do you plan to marina hop or spend more time on the hook.

Ted

Only a mother could think that child was beautiful. lol. Actually we like the uniqueness and it's a matter of taste but certainly not just a mass market run of the mill style. We also prefer utility to looks as the way to measure...

Still....

Sorry for totally derailing this thread OP. Back to topic, if you have any questions about the N47 I'm happy to answer them.

How would we know it was the internet if things didn't routinely run off the tracks?

Thanks much for the offer about the N47. We've spent some time on an N40 and found it wasn't enough, in large part due to the lack of outside space and access. The N40 we know had no flybridge and so really no useful topside space, and the only way from the bow to stern was through the cabin - no outside walkway.

As I see it, the N47 addresses these issues with the additional benefit (IMHO) of getting the master stateroom out of the bow.

Is that a fair read on my part?

As I see it, the N47 addresses these issues with the additional benefit (IMHO) of getting the master stateroom out of the bow.

Is that a fair read on my part?

We toured a N47 at Trawlerfest and it was impressive. Found it much nicer and better laid out than some of the larger Nordhavns. The roomy standup engine room was a dream. If I were looking for a blue water cruiser, it would be at the top of my list. The main negative we had was the 6' draft.

You could narrow down the field by deciding if you really need blue water capable long range or not....

All very good advice. We will consider these items. We've been pretty effective working a decision tree on these types of questions in the past and expect the process to work well this time too.

I'm hearing about some options I wasn't aware of which we'll need to investigate, most notably Cherubini and North Pacific. Any others?

Yes, the 47 has a walkaround deck on the STB side which leads to the portuguese bridge then FB.

Here are some pics for you to digest.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I'm hearing about some options I wasn't aware of which we'll need to investigate, most notably Cherubini and North Pacific. Any others?

There are at least 2 of us on the forum that own Cherubinis. I own a 45 and there is a 50 also on the forum. Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Edit: Saw that outside walkway from bow to stern was important to you. Neither the 45 or the 50 have outside walkways.

Ted

Last edited:
Re the look of the Diesel Duck very large Pug dog very pugnacious and some people like that look.

Last edited:
Beautiful stern on the Cherebini's. Lot to like about those boats.

A few random thoughts:

These "what boats should I consider" threads usually elicit answers such as "just like mine." Ignore as best you can these types of replies unless you know the person well and his/her cruising and maintenance style.

Suggest you define your missions, face to face with many owners, go to boat shows, walk the docks and make friends with some really good boat yards - for honest Q & A - who routinely work on boats such as you may be considering.

Then comes the budget decisions. Nothing wakes one up like buying a boat and then the other shoe drops - getting estimates for new electronics, dinghys, needed upgrades, repairs, paint etc. As you begin looking seriously at vessels both old and new keep both types of expenses in mind.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom