Would you sacrifice...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diesel Duck

Colombia, South America and Huatulco, Mexico
If you had the choice of a boat that has a LOA of 50’ with a FWD guest cabin with either a V-berth or single bunks to starboard (lower bunk being slightly larger than the upper bunk) or, you could have a boat with the same LOA of 50’ but it had a FWD guest cabin with a queen berth (center walk around), which would you choose and why?

Ahh but it’s not that simple…

This 50’ LOA boat, with either a V-berth or single bunks to starboard in the FWD guest cabin, has a saloon big enough for a 9’ 6” settee and that same 50’ LOA boat with the queen berth in the FWD guest cabin only has a saloon big enough for a 7’ 6” settee (the overall depth of the saloon is roughly 2’ less than the V-berth/bunks boat), now which boat would you choose and why?

And if that wasn’t a hard enough decision, you now have a third option… With this next boat you can now have the best of all worlds, however, it comes with a price…

This third option is for a boat that has a LOA of 53’ with a FWD guest cabin with a queen berth (center walk around) and it has a saloon big enough to accommodate a 9’ 6” settee. Best of both worlds, yes? Ahh, but here’s the price…

The price… As most of you already know everything cost more with a boat beyond the 50’ LOA mark and, in this case, it’s not so much the initial cost of the boat but it’s for the never ending extra cost of higher slip fees, canal transit fees, etc. etc.

I realize those who plan to stay in marinas often would be more concerned about the LOA beyond that sweet spot of 50’ but for those who plan to use the boat as it is intended (passage making/circumnavigation) me thinks the LOA may not be high on your priority list and you would be more concerned about overall comfort, space, seaworthiness etc.

Now that brings up another question… Would you be so concerned about a guest cabin having a queen berth vs. a V-berth or single bunks if your long term plans didn’t include a lot of family or friends and your planned voyages were for just you and your significant other with an occasional guest aboard?

Personally, I fit into the category of a single handler with an occasional guest. Having guest, especially for those long passages, a queen berth would be nice but it is not so much of a priority for me but… I keep reverting back to my original business philosophy of always having a good solid “exit strategy” (in this case I’m thinking desirability, a.k.a. resale value) and thus my query to all of you here on TF.

Note: All of the above mentioned boats are virtually identical, same single diesel engine, each with an aft master cabin with (center walk around) queen berth, guest head forward with separate shower, etc. etc. etc.

Editing after original posting:

Addendum... These boats (all 3 versions) each have 4 social areas. One is the main saloon down below (similar to a sailboat) with the galley adjacent, then there's the pilothouse which has a very large U-shaped settee (360 degree views) seating 6/7 very comfortably (not including the helm chair) and, on that same level, there's also the aft U-shaped cockpit located just behind the pilothouse (270 degree views) and last, but not least, is the flybridge area with an L-shaped settee along with a helm chair (360 degree views).

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. DD. Considering one usually only spends 1/3 of their day in bed (let's not go there, I said usually) I would opt for the greater "living" area. In a resale situation, one may be appealing to buyers with children (the bunks would be better) or ones who choose to travel with another couple (queen would be better). So go with your gut, what YOU will be most comfortable with. I doubt whichever option you choose will limit re-sale opportunities to any great extent.

How one lays out the interior of a boat given the choice is entirely personal. With production boats and used boats the dye is pretty much set, usually based on builder or designers opinion of what largest market wants. If you are building and are particular do it your way. When it comes to resale someone will like it and some wont and that goes for anything on a boat.

For the price of the build and what you expect it to sell for down the road, the guest stateroom needs to have comfortable berths for 2 adults not sharing the same bed. Most couples can accept seperate bunks for short stays as long as they're comfortable. Can't imagine my son and daughter (both in their 20s) being expected to share a queen berth. Also, if one of my step daughters visited with her husband, my wife would probably move us into the guest stateroom to give them more room (that's just the way she is).

Ted

Not given' up my queen size berth with custom mattress for anything. We spend far too many nights on our boat for that to be an option.

Our PNW boat has a V-berth forward cabin. Each V-berth is a bit over 7 feet long. The guests we have had on our cruises have found the berths to be great and they have all said they had some the best night's sleep ever up there. None of them have even hinted that a single queen berth would been a nicer arrangement.

I'm with RTF on this one. As long as the sleeping arrangements are comfortable to everyone on board, i feel it's more valuable to maximize the living space on the boat.

We have a forward walk-around double. I fought tooth and nail for V berths. My wife won (duh) and we got the double. Every guest we have had onboard has raved about it. Not one said they would have preferred the V berth.

OK, OK, I was wrong (duh).

Guests become "old" after a couple of days. On the other hand, having a large boat calls for crew quarters, so single berths would seem to be in order after accommodating the owners.

Okay, that's 4 for the V-berth/bunks and 1 for the queen berth (and one who didn't read my entire post or something got lost in the translation).

Señor Coot: No need for a crew on a 50 or 53 foot boat but I'll take your comments as a vote for the V-berth or bunks.

Let's keep those cards and letters coming folks!

Last edited:
Having a double bed in the owner's/master's cabin of the Coot is sufficient. The rare overnight guest can sleep on a selection of settees (double or single) in the saloon.

Last edited:
Señor Coot: No need for a crew on a 50 or 53 foot boat ...

A cook/mechanic/jack-of-all-trades could come in handy if one could stand sharing one's boat space.

..... the guest stateroom needs to have comfortable berths for 2 adults not sharing the same bed.
The above statement has been my choice since 1995 & we're almost there.

Master State Room
Guest State Room

Attachments

• IMG_0707.jpg
    IMG_0707.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0704.jpg
    IMG_0704.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 102
Interior:

Forward; big V-Berth in quest state-room with center insert and full head and closet and shelf space. Rear; queen in master state-room with bureau, closet, plenty draws, shelf space, full head, and single bed on other side of isle for sleeping or storage. Center; big, roomy, wide window, slider door in a, sunny salon with full galley, pilot station, chairs, table, storage, large dash board... etc... etc

Exterior:

Railings everywhere, bi level front decks, big full seating flying bridge, huge sun deck, 360 degree easy walk around decks, swim step, bimini tops...etc... etc

Why heck - That's just like our Tolly! Go figure :D :rofl:

A cook/mechanic/jack-of-all-trades could come in handy if one could stand sharing one's boat space.

@ Señor Coot: I am the "cook/mechanic/jack-of-all-trades" and I'll be sleeping in the aft master cabin on a very comfortable queen bed surrounded by all the amenities one would expect in a luxurious master cabin.

Okay, now that I'm convinced that I don't want to downsize the saloon (thanks TF members for confirming what I already knew deep down inside), here are two of the three options (the third option is to replace the bunks with a V-berth in the boat pictured in the second drawing below:

9631-albums319-picture1880.jpg

9631-albums319-picture1881.jpg

NOTE: The boat in the first drawing is 53' LOA and the boat in the second drawing has a LOA of 50'.

Last edited:
Underway , and the plan seems to be to cruise , not cottage , a Fwd bunk is frequently useless.

A double bed will be useless far more often (even with a bundeling board installed) than a cozy V berth with a weather cloth to keep from ending on the deck.

For resale far more boats are cottages , so I would go with the double bed.

Find a bunk area for guests to occupy in transit ,privacy is less required.

If this were a custom new build , not a stock cookie ,

I would place the engine room in the forpeak, and use the wide comfortable , good motion space for People

Last edited:
Having no choice but to have vee-berths, I would just about sacrifice anything for an island double for the main owners cabin anyway, but the layout of our boat precluded that. The new Clipper 34s obtained an island double in the bow, but at the cost of the bathroom being like an ensuite to the stateroom, so if you have visitors on board, they would have to actually enter your bedroom to use the head - no way..! At least with our layout we have a door between our for'd bedroom and the small lobby where the toilet door and main wardrobe doors are situated, just down the companionway steps from the galley and main helm area.

Now why is the cupboard in the loo open? - oh yes, it shows the C-tek multistage marine charger position.

Attachments

• Image 4.jpg
    Image 4.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 87
  • Image 5.jpg
    Image 5.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 75
To me as we age one key to bunks is to be able to get out at night with little hassle.

Contortions , back flips or ladders should not be required.

I have been trying to hire an engine room dwarf, Pygmy, little person, leprechaun or whatever forever.

Yeah, u right, personnel issues and all. He would want health ins, days off, b calling in sick, then FICA, 401k...then there is the Union issue. I see your point...crystal clear..thanks for reeling me in.

To me as we age, one key to bunks is to be able to get out at night with little hassle.Contortions , back flips or ladders should not be required.
:lol: 20 years ago I would have scoffed at that statement. Today, I find it to be absolutely true!

Last edited:
Yeah, u right, personnel issues and all. He would want health ins, days off, b calling in sick, then FICA, 401k...then there is the Union issue. I see your point...crystal clear..thanks for reeling me in.

It's not that easy, Mule. I know you wouldn't want to run an open shop. So you will need a steward and enough for a grievance committee. There will also have to be a strike fund. Just a reminder. You don't have to thank me.

:lol: 20 years ago I would have scoffed at that statement. Today, I find it to be absolutely true!

This was the V berth cabin in our 36' sedan/europa style trawler. It was much more comfortable and accessible than the double in the side cabin. I also found the V berths in our 34' MS Pilot very comfortable.

img_308805_0_14c7035dc8453c8abbbf832b30c8dd95.jpg

img_308805_1_bfd5ce32df6d1689be2b7f5aa7c4b8ee.jpg

Last edited:
Don - That almost looks like an attitude, list meter in center of first pict. Rather provocative symbol for a stateroom... don't cha think!! :D

Don - That almost looks like an attitude, list meter in center of first pict. Rather provocative symbol for a stateroom... don't cha think!! :D

Yeah Art, but it was necessary.:facepalm::eek:

PS: That would be an inclinometer.

Last edited:
This was the V berth cabin in our 36' sedan/europa style trawler. It was much more comfortable and accessible than the double in the side cabin. I also found the V berths in our 34' MS Pilot very comfortable.

img_308876_0_14c7035dc8453c8abbbf832b30c8dd95.jpg

That's a good looking V-berth in your forward cabin. My problem is the fwd cabin in one of the two boats I'm vacillating between only has a depth of 7' on the center line (From the door entry to the collision bulkhead/chain locker). That's not much room for a decent guest cabin in this version of the boat, which by the way, has a LOA of 50'. My other option would be to go with the boat that has a LOA of 53' but then, as most here will attest to, things start to get more expensive, i.e. insurance, slip fees, haul outs, etc. etc. etc., once you go beyond that magic 50' LOA.

Last edited:
LOA of 53' but then, as most here will attest to, things start to get more expensive, i.e. insurance, slip fees, haul outs, etc. etc. etc., once you go beyond that magic 50' LOA.

+50 or -50 ,,may change slip cost but almost everything else stays in proportion.

6% more to haul out , so?

If you had the choice of a boat that has a LOA of 50’ with a FWD guest cabin with either a V-berth or single bunks to starboard (lower bunk being slightly larger than the upper bunk) or, you could have a boat with the same LOA of 50’ but it had a FWD guest cabin with a queen berth (center walk around), which would you choose and why?

For me a vee. For resale think VIP stateroom.

Ahh but it’s not that simple…
This 50’ LOA boat, with either a V-berth or single bunks to starboard in the FWD guest cabin, has a saloon big enough for a 9’ 6” settee and that same 50’ LOA boat with the queen berth in the FWD guest cabin only has a saloon big enough for a 7’ 6” settee (the overall depth of the saloon is roughly 2’ less than the V-berth/bunks boat), now which boat would you choose and why?

Bigger settee/ph/living spaces because that's where you spend the most time besides the cockpit.

And if that wasn’t a hard enough decision, you now have a third option… With this next boat you can now have the best of all worlds, however, it comes with a price…
This third option is for a boat that has a LOA of 53’ with a FWD guest cabin with a queen berth (center walk around) and it has a saloon big enough to accommodate a 9’ 6” settee. Best of both worlds, yes? Ahh, but here’s the price

No change. But there is no substitute for waterline. That extra 3 feet means you'll do 24 hours of distance in 23 hours.

The price… As most of you already know everything cost more with a boat beyond the 50’ LOA mark and, in this case, it’s not so much the initial cost of the boat but it’s for the never ending extra cost of higher slip fees, canal transit fees, etc. etc.
I realize those who plan to stay in marinas often would be more concerned about the LOA beyond that sweet spot of 50’ but for those who plan to use the boat as it is intended (passage making/circumnavigation) me thinks the LOA may not be high on your priority list and you would be more concerned about overall comfort, space, seaworthiness etc.
Now that brings up another question… Would you be so concerned about a guest cabin having a queen berth vs. a V-berth or single bunks if your long term plans didn’t include a lot of family or friends and your planned voyages were for just you and your significant other with an occasional guest aboard?

If your guests are going help you pay for the boat give them a vip berth, if not let them make due with the vee berths. Since it's going to be your home for the next three to five years you should maximize YOUR space and let the guests adapt or leave. Your probably going to average 10 or more days in port for every sea day anyway so it makes the most sense to make the living spaces comfortable and the bunks serviceable. This however is the exact opposite of what seems to be selling best at the moment.

Personally, I fit into the category of a single handler with an occasional guest. Having guest, especially for those long passages, a queen berth would be nice but it is not so much of a priority for me but… I keep reverting back to my original business philosophy of always having a good solid “exit strategy” (in this case I’m thinking desirability, a.k.a. resale value) and thus my query to all of you here on TF.

Note: All of the above mentioned boats are virtually identical, same single diesel engine, each with an aft master cabin with (center walk around) queen berth, guest head forward with separate shower, etc. etc. etc.
Editing after original posting:

Addendum... These boats (all 3 versions) each have 4 social areas. One is the main saloon down below (similar to a sailboat) with the galley adjacent, then there's the pilothouse which has a very large U-shaped settee (360 degree views) seating 6/7 very comfortably (not including the helm chair) and, on that same level, there's also the aft U-shaped cockpit located just behind the pilothouse (270 degree views) and last, but not least, is the flybridge area with an L-shaped settee along with a helm chair (360 degree views).

All boats are a compromise. You may find that what works best for you may not offer you a great "exit" strategy. That's why there are some great deals out there.

Via iPad using Trawler Forum

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom