Trawler Forum

Trawler Forum (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/)
-   Cruising and Events - West Coast (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s28/)
-   -   "The Jewel of the San Diego Boat Show" (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s28/jewel-san-diego-boat-show-18469.html)

Codger2 01-26-2015 09:18 AM

"The Jewel of the San Diego Boat Show"
 
1 Attachment(s)
I attended the S.D. Boat show over the week end fell head over heels in love with a 43 foot boat. Oh, there were many other boats (considerably larger) that were head turners but nothing as nice as this 7 year old Selene. I have never seen a boat as well maintained as this boat! I toured her 3 different days, looking for any pimples and warts that I may have missed but came up with nothing. Her owner, a physician, who most likely suffers from OCD, has equipped her with only the best.

2007 Selene 43 Ocean Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Mule 01-26-2015 10:35 AM

That sure is a purdy boat. Like sign, that sure I a lotta moola... But I bet she is worth it.

BandB 01-26-2015 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codger2 (Post 302031)
I attended the S.D. Boat show over the week end fell head over heels in love with a 43 foot boat. Oh, there were many other boats (considerably larger) that were head turners but nothing as nice as this 7 year old Selene. I have never seen a boat as well maintained as this boat! I toured her 3 different days, looking for any pimples and warts that I may have missed but came up with nothing. Her owner, a physician, who most likely suffers from OCD, has equipped her with only the best.

It is a beautiful boat. One thing that I use to hear from a relative who purchased a lot of used cars was to look on the lot of a new car dealer for their brand. Likely the customer was satisfied to come back and trade it in. This boat is a Selene owner moving to a new larger Selene. To me that's a very nice evaluation of the boat.

djmarchand 01-26-2015 10:44 AM

I agree, that is a very pretty boat. Maybe a little overpriced as a friend recently bought a 2007 Nordhavn 47 for about the same money.

I wonder about the helm and the lack of a helm seat. When in tight quarters or even following a channel down the ICW do you stand all of the time? It sure would be tiring to get up and down from that pilot's seat to make course corrections every minute or so.

David

ancora 01-26-2015 10:52 AM

Get ready for the negs on the "backward" windshield.

Codger2 01-26-2015 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djmarchand (Post 302063)

I wonder about the helm and the lack of a helm seat. When in tight quarters or even following a channel down the ICW do you stand all of the time? It sure would be tiring to get up and down from that pilot's seat to make course corrections every minute or so.

I completely forgot that..... You are absolutely correct!:facepalm:

CPseudonym 01-26-2015 12:15 PM

If it has a remote controlled auto pilot rising from the seat for course corrections would not be needed.

psneeld 01-26-2015 12:26 PM

Some people use portable/folding helm seats...makes for nice room sometimes but useless in heavy seas...fine for the ICW and Fairweather boating.

Good point about the AP remote..it is what I do as the Albin helm on my boat is the worst I have ever sat in.....

Codger2 01-26-2015 12:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CPseudonym (Post 302093)
If it has a remote controlled auto pilot rising from the seat for course corrections would not be needed.

Excellent point! I don't have a remote on my boat. In fact my charting looks very much like this.

dwhatty 01-26-2015 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codger2 (Post 302031)
I attended the S.D. Boat show over the week end fell head over heels in love with a 43 foot boat.

You once said that Selene interiors were too chopped up for your taste. :)

Codger2 01-26-2015 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwhatty (Post 302099)
You once said that Selene interiors were too chopped up for your taste. :)

And I'm sticking with that comment!
My previous comments on the Selene 43 were about the condition I found the boat to be in. But thanks anyway for remembering!:angel:

bayview 01-26-2015 01:49 PM

I agree about the seating. Mostly I would have to use the flybridge steering. Movable seats would be a terrible idea in my area with all the wakes. I want seating that keeps me in place with wakes or beam seas. Even up top that boat has poor visibility close in front but that seems a common design error.


People designing those boats have probably never run them any distance.

No Mast 01-26-2015 02:42 PM

Well, ok I am biased to Selene's. I mean they are on the trawler forum banner, looks like they may be in the upcoming trawler forum T-shirts, oh and we own one :) But she does look a bit overpriced. I know I know no one gets what they list her for. But still.

There's a Selene 53 in Annapolis for the same price (I know she has some issues having looked at her during our search). But still....

Donsan 01-26-2015 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mule (Post 302058)
That sure is a purdy boat. Like sign, that sure I a lotta moola... But I bet she is worth it.

They have a Selene 43' for sale at your marina for the bargain basement price of about $395K.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2000.../United-States

BandB 01-26-2015 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Mast (Post 302123)
Well, ok I am biased to Selene's. I mean they are on the trawler forum banner, looks like they may be in the upcoming trawler forum T-shirts, oh and we own one :) But she does look a bit overpriced. I know I know no one gets what they list her for. But still.

There's a Selene 53 in Annapolis for the same price (I know she has some issues having looked at her during our search). But still....

I've never known a Selene owner who didn't feel the same way so they must be doing something right.

FlyWright 01-26-2015 05:04 PM

It's still an 8 Kt boat, Spiegel. I thought you wanted to go faster than 8 Kts.

But I suppose in that level of comfort, 8 Kts would be easier to take.

No Mast 01-26-2015 09:33 PM

Band: we couldn't be happier with her. But if I keep talking I'll start to sound like a commercial. So I'll be quiet now.

hollywood8118 01-26-2015 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Mast (Post 302258)
Band: we couldn't be happier with her. But if I keep talking I'll start to sound like a commercial. So I'll be quiet now.


Nope just keep on extolling the Selene's virtues.. there are plenty of us that ramble on the Nordy virtues so sell away. The Selene's are very attractive boats.

HOLLYWOOD

nemier 01-27-2015 01:20 AM

Yes, it's certainly a great looking boat :thumb:; I have always liked Selene's and I think they keep getting better & better as time goes on. I also look at Krogens, I like those those too. The best boat for you is always dependent on your mission though, whether you want to cruise the coast, or cross oceans. All & all, it's a sweet boat.

The lack of helm chair may not be as inappropriate as it first appears, IF there is a remote control head for the autopilot, located at the bench seat. I have certainly seen this feature before though. For just steering, this is fine. If you have some close quarter maneuvering to do with both wheel & throttle action, you'd probably want to be standing anyway. I know I do.

BandB 01-27-2015 01:32 AM

There are certain brands of boats that it is extremely difficult if not impossible to find dissatisfied owners of. Selene, Fleming, KK. We even had a thread recently that showed how hard it is for Bayliner although I think the used boat buyer would be a bit more tolerant than a new boat buyer. Very few unhappy with Nordhavn although they seem exceptionally tolerant of first year shake down issues, but then that's to Nordhavn's credit if they've set expectations reasonable with their customers and met them. There are others I haven't heard owners express regrets over such as Diesel Duck and Defever. I've spent my life around Sea Rays and with their huge volumes have been amazed at the level of customer satisfaction, although certainly not perfect. I don't think any of the above would be perfect with that number of customers.

I will say the vast majority of boat builders do a good job of delivering quality that meets their customer's expectations and needs. Very few bad brands, perhaps because they tend to fall by the wayside.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012