Heritage 40 Listing to Starboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Blue Heron
Vessel Make
Heritage East 40
Our Heritage 40 lists pretty far to starboard sitting in the slip. No water in bilge. Fuel tanks equal. Any ideas?

Our boat has a natural list to port with tanks leveled out, although during commissioning it was trimmed to sit level with the takes leveled out but after additions over the years it doesn't anymore.

All boats have a natural list. Some more than others. They are not symmetric side to side. Stow heavy stuff on the high side, and light stuff on the low side. Check that there is no hidden lead ballast on the low side. Be sure the tanks are really equal.

My 38 is on equal trim with 20 more gallons in port tank.

I agree that most boats will list one way or the other. Gear you've brought aboard usually gets stowed according to where it will fit best, not where it will trim the vessel best.
Sometimes installed equipment will do it. The equipment again gets installed where it will fit. That may be unavoidable.
Several years ago my boat had a list to stbd. I added one battery on the port side and it then listed to the port.
Before that I had made a list and estimate of weights/positions to try to figure out a rough effect but even so it was more than I expected.

Sometimes even a seemingly small change in weight and location will be quite noticeable in list. As suggested try restowing some of the heavy/light gear.

Are you SURE the fuel levels in the tanks are even? Especially with a single the tanks often do not draw evenly and sittng at the dock/anchor will not correct it. Return fuel line valves may need some adjustment.

I shift/use fuel from several fuel tanks to maintain the boat's level. It's nice to have the ability to shift fuel from one tank to another and have the engine able to draw from any tank. When approaching the boat, I examine the boat's attitude and change what tank is to be drawn, if needed.

img_299573_0_83080ba35b6aee75613e42a4227116ba.jpg

With this pump. in combination with the fuel manifolds, I can pump fuel among the boat's four fuel tanks.

img_299573_1_d832a0478567af867979966a9b085787.jpg

Last edited:
About 6 months ago I replaced all the sanitary lines when I replaced both heads I think I lightened the port side 500 pounds

the boat is now higher by 1 and 1/4 inch on the port

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom