Simrad VHF Handset

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rsysol

Vessel Name
Antipodes
Vessel Make
Yachtsmiths
I have an old but very reliable Simrad RS86 VHF radio on board. The system is wired for a remote on the bridge. My issue is that both the remote handset and the standard handset have failed. Simrad will not support these products nor can the handsets be repaired. I've been searching for replacements for some time now.

Of course, the radio is nicely mounted in my dash (with remote black box) so switching will require additional cutting/fitting. Have any of you successfully built (or had built) handsets for a radio? I was thinking about wiring a new handset to the same pinouts but Simrad will not share any schematics. This unit uses handset style mikes.

I'm not cheap, but just getting tired of trashing older/working electronics for minor issues like this.

I have an old but very reliable Simrad RS86 VHF radio on board. The system is wired for a remote on the bridge. My issue is that both the remote handset and the standard handset have failed. Simrad will not support these products nor can the handsets be repaired. I've been searching for replacements for some time now.

Of course, the radio is nicely mounted in my dash (with remote black box) so switching will require additional cutting/fitting. Have any of you successfully built (or had built) handsets for a radio? I was thinking about wiring a new handset to the same pinouts but Simrad will not share any schematics. This unit uses handset style mikes.

I'm not cheap, but just getting tired of trashing older/working electronics for minor issues like this.

That's defeinetly not a perspective I would have taken if something broke like you handheld, I guess if your handy with the solder gun and have a steady hand along with the schematics it would be possible. I'd just keep an eye on ebay and Craigslist. If you do end up buying new equipment I would look at company's that have great after market and discontinued support for parts and the like. I know Furuno is quite good at this, but not sure about the others.

I would replace with Icom. They are excellent radios, and well supported. Simrad support is hit or miss, and they seem to abandon all support for older products when new ones come out.

I know, I know, replace. But this is my windmill....

BTW - I've already replaced my Simrad radar due to their inability to support their products. That radar could see bird poop on a crab pot buoy, I loved it. So, for now, I'm not giving up.

Are you sure the handsets and remote are not repairable? Perhaps get them assessed by someone who does radio and/or electronics repairs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom