Hatteras 48LRC/58YF bridge access?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ranger58sb

Guru
Vessel Name
Ranger
Vessel Make
58' Sedan Bridge
Can somebody mention whether flying bridge access on these (or similar Hatteras models) is only via the cockpit ladder?

Or is there also an internal stairway -- that I don't seem to be able to find pictured anywhere -- to the flying bridge? Or...?

Realize this would be an easy question on the Hatteras forum, but I hesitate to join over there just for one small question... :)

-Chris

Can somebody mention whether flying bridge access on these (or similar Hatteras models) is only via the cockpit ladder?

Or is there also an internal stairway -- that I don't seem to be able to find pictured anywhere -- to the flying bridge? Or...?

Realize this would be an easy question on the Hatteras forum, but I hesitate to join over there just for one small question... :)

-Chris

The 48LRC is external only. The steps are a little bit narrow in my opinion.

Richard

48lrc

The 48 LRC has two sets of four steps just outside the pilot house doors to access the boat deck. There are two steps up to the upper bridge from the boat deck. There is a ladder from the cockpit to the upper boat deck The 58 yachtfisher has a ladder aft of the lower helm separated bulkhead and by a door to the lower helm.

Several Hatteras MY models have a ladder to the FB from the pilot house. The 61 comes to mind for instance. If you go to the Hatteras Owners Forum, there is a section with the brochures on virtually all the vintage Hatts. And the membership is helpful on questions on almost all models.

Thanks, folks. I've not been in any hurry to go larger, but I do occasionally get a wild hair... so I was just wondering if this one was worth pursuing. You probably can't tell from my avatar, but when we got this one, we were shopping for a flying bridge with stairs... and a boat attached. A few other features, too, of course, but I'm just not going to do ladders anymore.

-Chris

Last edited:
The 48 has exterior stairs on both sides. Wide and a protected way to the flybridge, there is also a ladder located in the cockpit to the boat deck. You can go on yacht world and look at the 48 LRC located in Virginia Beach, they have a lot of pictures.

It's not that big a project to modify to create stairs, particulalry the wider, 18'2" beam Hatts. This was a big selling point for us and for the new owners of our boat:

PC120001.JPG

George
That's a ladder in your picture! :)
Real stairs have treads much wider, with treads being wider than the height of the riser.

Pic is of my FB stairs. With 9" treads and 8.5" risers they are fairly steep, but still OK.

Attachments

• FB Stairs sml.jpg
    FB Stairs sml.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Several Hatteras MY models have a ladder to the FB from the pilot house. The 61 comes to mind for instance. If you go to the Hatteras Owners Forum, there is a section with the brochures on virtually all the vintage Hatts. And the membership is helpful on questions on almost all models.

Revisiting this, if I may, please... I did check out those brochures; very interesting.

There's what looks to be a '77-'80 58' CPMY in the marina next door, and from a casual drive-by (by dinghy) it looks like there must be stairs leading from the pilot house to the flying bridge? And there is no direct (ladder) access from cockpit to flying bridge.

(This is actually the boat the spurred my original question... but I'd thought at the time that it was a YF model. Our recent dinghy ride suggested otherwise.)

I don't recognize anything in the brochure that clarifies... and it doesn't look like there are any listed for sale on Yachtworld...

I'd guess these would be DD powered, yes? Various 71s or 92s?

-Chris

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom