Life expectancy of a 3 strand rode?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tunajoe

Vessel Name
Tatanka
Vessel Make
32' Nordic Tug
When do those of you with combo chain/rope rodes consider replacing the rope portion?

Mine appears to be in decent shape and lightly used, but is at least 10 years old.

My setup is 50' of 5/16 HT chain with 200' of 3 strand.
Don't mind spending the money for new but if I don't need to I certainly have other areas I can spend the money.

Thanks and i hope everyone has a safe and productive new year!

I don't worry about the age. I just inspect mine looking for signs of wear. I also twist the line open in a couple spots to inspect the interior of the rope. If I do see wear, I'm pretty quick to replace it. Since the wear usually happens close to the anchor, you'll be told you can just cut it a little shorter or reverse the line. I don't do that mostly because I hate splicing old nylon.

Sunshine eats nylon , it becomes very stiff, as it wears out..

So when the anchor line becomes hard to handle , chop it up and use it for dock line.

A soak in washing machine softener will make it easier on the hands as dock line.

Sunshine eats nylon , it becomes very stiff, as it wears out..

So when the anchor line becomes hard to handle , chop it up and use it for dock line.

A soak in washing machine softener will make it easier on the hands as dock line.

hmmm.
The line is very stiff. Other than that, it's condition looks decent.

Wash the line thoroughly with Tide or some such, and rinse it well. That will remove a good part of the grit and dirt that makes it stiff, and causes extra wear.

My 3-strand lasts about 6 summers, anchoring 50-100 x per summer, but I inspect carefully at least at the end of each summer, when I wash, reverse, and re-splice. Decision to replace is based on inspection.

Thanks guys!

Newbie here and we anchored up the first time I noticed the rope is frayed and the chain does not fit nicely in the windlass also saw a prior splice in the rope and when we tried to use the windlass to pull up the rope although it was turning the windlass would not grab the rope, I assume I am doing it wrong please help with your ideas
Gregg

Gregg, The rope is shot, replace it. The chain not fitting is a concern and you should check to be sure it is the correct size and type for the gypsy on your windlass.

Checking the chain will involve contacting the windlass manufacturer with what ever information you can find on the gypsy and careful measurement of a chain link. Also note any markings on the chain links.

The windlass manufacturer can tell you the correct size rope to use as well.

Follow what HopCar suggests.

You may also remove the chain wildcat and take it to a chandler and try several types of chain such as BBB or the G43 which is becoming more common.
But find out which chain works with the wildcat.

A mismatch can be dangerous if the chain roars out uncontrolled. It can because once it starts the following chain will simply skate over the pockets with nothing to catch and stop it. If the chain is jumping and skipping then the chain is the wrong type and/or size and may roar out.

@Wattaworld: Look on your windlass. Do you see the letters PC or BBB or HT or other two letter combos on it? If so, that is the type of chain your windlass needs. The chain was likely replaced (on the cheap) with the wrong stuff.

The line slipping is an indication that the line is old, and worn too thin to properly grab the 'teeth' of the line groove on the windlass. The cheeks of the interior portion are made specifically for a size line. Not bigger, not smaller. And believe it or not, line does get worn down with use.

Do you have the manual for the windlass? If not, try looking up the model number on the 'net for a manual. The manual would have the correct sizes listed for your machine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom