Fuel arrangement works for me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

obthomas

Guru
Vessel Name
TheVenture
Vessel Make
1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
Five years ago when I bought my boat the fuel system was a mess. All engines drafted from a belly tank that was leaking and full of crud. The side tanks were piped into the belly tank and everything was one big reservoir.
I removed the belly tank and re-piped my side tanks as in the attached diagram. Its five years now and I cannot find a reason to change anything. I just wanted to start this thread to share the fuel scheme that I have and that is working so well for me.

Attachments

• fuel.jpg
    fuel.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 200
I can suggest one change.

You could add a second filter unit to each side or plumb the feeds into a manifold, then onto the two filters you already have and then to the fuel pump(s).

In the end what I'm suggesting is to have two filter elements so you can switch to a backup filter when the primary clogs and while you replace the filter element.

I understand you could accomplish a similar goal by switching to your other fuel tank, but this would take the variable of having good fuel in it out.

I like how your current solution has two fuel pumps.

I can suggest one change.

You could add a second filter unit to each side or plumb the feeds into a manifold, then onto the two filters you already have and then to the fuel pump(s).

In the end what I'm suggesting is to have two filter elements so you can switch to a backup filter when the primary clogs and while you replace the filter element.

I understand you could accomplish a similar goal by switching to your other fuel tank, but this would take the variable of having good fuel in it out.

I like how your current solution has two fuel pumps.

Now you've done it! I gotta add another project to my list. Installing dual racors, great idea!

HAHA! Glad to be of service.

Instead of Racors, check Seaboard Marines line of filters, especially if you have a newer engine. Cheaper and more effective. Several members of this forum have retrofitted.
A single "mud" filter in front of your Racor may do the trick.
Google Tony Athens and read up on filtering.

The Seaboard filters may be the bee's knees but I won't have 'em without a clear bowl to see what's going on in there. Gauges are fine, I still want to see.

While the Seaboard filters look to be very good, I to prefer a clear bowl to see what's going on. Also, a parallel system with a flip of the lever is a must for me. Having a helm station mounted vacuum gauge, and being able to switch filters with the flip of a lever at the first sign of trouble, is great peace of mind.

Ted

Seaboard can supply the filters with a bowl so if that is your only hangup take another look.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom