Towing Hard Dinghy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
Since my last thread about dinghy cranes or davits a lot of you suggested that towing the dink was a good and safe option .Since I can't make my mind up about a crane or davits I thought I might try towing this next season .
I'm in a covered slip and I pull in forward because we like the privacy of the aft deck towards the water and not the walkway .When backing out of the slip what is the best way to handle the hard dinghy if I will be towing ? There is not enough width in the slip to pull it along side . Should I pull it up tight to the stern ? Do I need to use a bridle? We cruise for now just the Tn River/ KY Lake and Cumberland River .:popcorn:

Thanks Marty

Pull up the dinghy tight to the transom/swim platform and tie both bow and stern. Then back out of your slip. When you turn to go out of the fairway release the stern line and pay out a bow towing line (or bridle if you like). The towing line needs to be about 20' long.

After you get underway at cruising speed adjust the towing line so the dinghy isn't always climbing the stern wave.

I only tow in protected waters, never offshore. A storm can come up, swamp your dinghy and it will be a bear to upright and get going again.

David

Marty, we towed a hard dinghy back when we had sailboats and one tip I can pass on is to use a floating type line for your dinghy pennant. Another option is floats typically used on fish nets, also keep an eye on the deck fairway for chafe to the line when underway. Always pull in the slack when anchoring or going into a dock. It only happened one time for me to remember these tips when I wound the pennant around the propeller shaft and had to do some diving to free it.
Bill

Thanks guys . The trinka 10 is supposed to tow well .

Back
Top Bottom