Adios to Car Talk's Tom Magliozzi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyWright

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
FlyWright
Vessel Make
1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Tom Magliozzi, (Tom and Ray on NPR's Car Talk, 1/2 of the Tappet Brothers, 50% of Click and Clack) passed away this week from complications related to his Ahlzeimer's Disease. IMO, these guys were some of the wittiest and greatest humorists of our time.

I hope you got the express lane to heaven, Tom! Thanks for the laughs.

Blog Post | Tom Magliozzi 1937-2014 | Car Talk

Here's a sampling of Tom's quotes:

“It's only a car.”

"Do it while you're young. You may never have another chance to do anything this stupid again!"

"Happiness equals reality minus expectations"

“How do you know if you've got a good mechanic? By the size of his boat.”

"If money can fix it, it's not a problem."

“Our Humility is what makes us great.”

“Reality often astonishes theory.”

"Life is too short to own a German car.”

“Kids: get away from the cell phones, get away from the computers, and mail someone a fish before it’s too late.”

“Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis” - “Unencumbered by the thought process.” Tom’s self-proclaimed motto.

“Never let the facts stand in the way of a good answer”

"Some guy I met said it's amazing how we use cars on our show as an excuse to discuss everything in the world—energy, psychology, behavior, love, money, economics and finance. The cars themselves are boring as hell."

“It is better to travel in hope than arrive in despair.”

"If it falls off, it doesn't matter.”

"I like to drive with the windows open. I mean, before you know it, you're going to spend plenty of time sealed up in a box anyway, right?”

Wow, end of another era. Tom Menino passed away this past week too (longest standing Mayor of Boston @ 20 years).

What a shame. Definitely will be missed.

My favorite Saturday morning radio show. Hope his MGTD or his Dodge Dart is waiting for him leaking oil and shedding parts in anticipation.

On my way to the boat last Saturday morning I listened to one of their shows, great wit and humor. I hope NPR keeps the re-runs going. Good by Tommy, you made life funny and less stressful.

Back
Top Bottom