What's your type iv PFD of choice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
What's your throwable type IV PFD? What are your thoughts about it?

img_278499_0_430876282d899d3820076a5bc336cccc.jpg

I like the thought of having it connected to the boat so it can be maneuvered to the one in distress, and once grabbed, the distressed can be pulled to the boat. Also have a throwable cushion, for what's that worth.

Last edited:
Well, you need to have one that is, equipped with floating line, and a few that aren't, to mark where the MOB is and give them something to swim to. So we had a Lifesling, a big orange ring buoy and a two or three cushions. Don't forget to throw a life vest too.

Most importantly, you need to know how to use it, and that comes with practice.

Mark

You have the one that I prefer, believe they are called lifelines. Horseshoe with attached floating line.

We have a large life ring with 100' of floating poly line attached. It's mounted on the forward wall of the cockpit.

I have a seat cushion type that I attach my shore tie rope bag (for the skiff or kayaks) to and meet the requirements for throwable type IV. I believe a throw bag is the most efficient recovery system for a conscious and capable man overboard. Many years of water rescue, and if they aren't moving, flotation is over-rated.! I believe throw-ability exceeds float-ability in importance if you wind up in a rescue situation, so I combine the two to meet CG requirements. JMO

Rochepoint carries a Life Sling with lifting tackle and two rings with 50' of floating line attached.

Attachments

• LifeSling.jpg
    LifeSling.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 117
  • Rings.jpg
    Rings.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 93
A Lifesling on the boat deck and a Lifering just outside each pilot house door.

Attachments

• PDF.jpg
    PDF.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 98
Back
Top Bottom