Can epoxy coat be dissolved by diesel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Searios

I am considering to use one of my large water tanks as a diesel tank to increase the range.

The tank is made of steel and coated with a standard type epoxy coat.

Will the epoxy be dissolved by the diesel fuel?

I have no idea what a "standard" epoxy is (neither can anyone else) but I have two 100 gallon "tank coating" glass epoxy tanks that are 30 years old. Most gas stations have epoxy/glass underground diesel and gasoline tanks

I'll bet there's some really interesting stuff in your old water tank... You'll be able to do fuel sampling at your kitchen tap!

Epoxy coatings

Epoxy coatings were first developed to line fuel storage tanks. Copon was the one of the first. I don't know if the epoxy in your tank is epoxy, if it is truely epoxy I think you should be OK. My fuel tanks are fiberglass using polyester resin. THESE WOULD BE A DISASTER AS GASOLINE STORAGE TANKS.

The tanks are new, so there should not be any gunk - but there will be the day I decide to use it as a fuel tank....

Some epoxies are for fuel tanks, some are for water tanks and so on, so a standard epoxy refers to an epoxy which is not specifically designated for fuel tanks.

The question should then be reworded to: will an epoxy which is not diesel fuel rated dissolve if its being submerged with diesel fuel.

I can't answer the question about the epoxy but you would have be careful with every gasket, hose and fitting to make sure they were diesel rated.

Later,
Dan

Question:

You mean epoxy based paint or epoxy resin?. If it is resin and you have been using water in it, you will be able to swap to diesel for the next 15 years minimum.

You just need to be sure that you do not have blanks in these walls

Last edited:
Question:

You mean epoxy based paint or epoxy resin?. If it is resin and you have been using water in it, you will be able to swap to diesel for the next 15 years minimum.

You just need to be sure that you do not have blanks in these walls

I don't know - will have to get back to you later - need to ask the manufacturer of the boat.

Epoxy Resins

I have just spent 8 years building a wood epoxy boat. A large vessel as you can see in the avatar.
All my epoxy was sold directly by the manufacturer. No third parties with complicated marketing plans were involved.
There are two basic types of epoxy resins; impregnating/protecting ones and for glueing purposes.
The ones you are asking about are the impegrenating purposes which, can also glue surfaces.
Paint brands use epoxy resin in some painting compounds, but these, do not have the same phisical specs as the resins alone.

For the purpose of your case, it is convenient to know if the covering/painting job is new and what product was applied. YET, if it is resin, you can pour fuel in it without fear. All epoxy resins are a lot more generous with Diesel than they are with gasoline.

This is what I have found out dealing with this and other related epoxy issues in the recent years

If you need more range then your also going to need more water if the water maker fails. Rather than destroy perfectly good water system by plumbing it into the fuel system, why not just use bladders for the trips where you need more range. You are probably only going to need the additional fuel for 40 hours or so. I can carry enough fuel to run for 18 consecutive days but I seldom do. Carrying excess fuel around has a cost in mpg as well as maintenance.

Via iPhone.

Searios

If can't find the answer to my previous question, follow Cafesport recommendations. Very wise indeed!

Thanks.

I will have 1000 liter in the remaining water tank, so I should be good even if the water maker fails.
One can also bring drinking water in bottles, use them as ballast and move them around as the trim changes if enough of them..

Yes great idea. Then as you use the fuel you can just pour the bottled water back into the tank since it's pickup is on the bottom.Then you can just chuck those 500 2 litre bottles over the side.

In case you can't tell,
I'm not "searios".

Sounds like you might be trying to make your boat do something the designer didn't design it to do.

Via iPhone.

Actually, the 2 x 1000 liters stern tanks were originally intended for fuel - I changed both to water tanks, thinking it was good to have an inexpensive way of balancing the boat - just let the water out, or use the water maker to fill them.

I am now questioning if I really need 2000 liters of water and if I can make better use of one tank as a fuel tank - which still can be used for balancing by transferring fuel.

As to the original epoxy question, until recently I would have said that any regular 2 part epoxy would not be affected by diesel. However, I used a good 3 to 1 epoxy to repair a hot tub this summer, the repair was done correctly, epoxy set up good, "glass was hard, next day tub was filled. about a week later it started leaking. After draining and looking at the repair the epoxy was soft, almost rubbery. I have no idea why. Maybe chemicals used in the tub or something. The epoxy may have been old, I dont know. I've not had this happen befor. My opinion is that epoxy is pretty much impervious to most things, diesel included.

Back
Top Bottom