One Pound Propane Bottles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seasalt007

Guru
Vessel Name
Aweigh
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 42
It just seems that the world falls apart one tiny piece at a time and they hope you don't notice.

I have been buying the 1# Coleman brand propane bottles for my Magma grill because they had a plastic cup on the bottom and therefore would not leak rust down on the fiberglass if you forget to take it off the grill at night and it rains. The Worthington brand (from Walmart and others) has no cap on the bottom, instead a metal ring with a series of holes. A bad rust leaker.

So, I was buying the Coleman brand at my local ACE or True Value hardware. Today I went to both to get a couple of bottles and noticed that they had changed to the metal bottom just like the cheaper brands.

I don't want a larger bottle of propane on the boat because of storage issues.

What to do???...besides remembering to take it in at night. Too much thought after happy hour.

Put some kind of glass tray (ash tray???) or the lid from a plastic "Tupperware" container beneath the bottom end of it when you put it out there. If you forget to bring it in the lid will catch any water and rust. Unless it rains hard. Then you're screwed.

PVC pipe, pipe cap, threaded barb and hose to drain overboard????

Ummm - I say this respectfully...

If happy hour is often so strong that it creates problem thinking or acting to take in 1 lb propane btl... God forbid a real problem might arise! :facepalm:

Be Careful and Good Luck! :thumb:

What to do.

If we're talking about the same thing, the green cannisters that screw onto things like BBQs, portable heaters, etc., the plastic cup on the bottom of the cannister comes off.

So can one take the cup off a cannister that has one and put it on a cannister that doesn't? Or did they change the configuration of the cannisters so the cups don't fit anymore?

Marin,

I will soon know if it is possible to take the cup from a used one and put it on a new one.

BTW, I emailed my concern to Coleman and they replied rather quickly that they now license all these small canisters out to Worthington. So, I emailed Worthington to see if they still made the ones I want. Have not heard.

Art...you truly are a glass half empty guy. ;-)

Marin,

I will soon know if it is possible to take the cup from a used one and put it on a new one.

BTW, I emailed my concern to Coleman and they replied rather quickly that they now license all these small canisters out to Worthington. So, I emailed Worthington to see if they still made the ones I want. Have not heard.

Art...you truly are a glass half empty guy. ;-)

My glass was Very FULL for years... even owned a tavern when young! :D

I well understand Happy Hour... sometimes called "Totty Time"!! :lol:

This is really a simple fix. Take the bottle off, it takes 5 seconds.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Any RV catalog will have 2 cures.

One is a simple refill setup so you can re charge your old 1 lb bottles for ever.

The other is a hose adapter to just use a 20# bottle directly.

All the other answers. Why does it rust instantly? Plastic dip the bottoms.

Since the canister condenses (sweats) as it is used it will began to rust even if it is removed after each use. Doesn't have to just rain.

Concur with seasalt007. I have them rust in the dry locker. I wonder if the plastic dip will work???

I'm not sure the issue is a rusty can...I think the issue is rust getting on the boat....

Is that correct seasalt007???

Mine rust and I gave up...I figure if I'm not using them fast enough to worry about rusting through the can...then my stock is too large or I'm not grilling enough.

Otherwise..I just keep them in a plastic bag stored inside the grill when not using the grill.

We cut a piece of mat, the kind you can line a car trunk with and placed it under the entire grill. This catches any grease drippings and propane bottle sweat. I place my grill in a position that allows me to admire my anchor while grilling.

Howard

Our Magnum grill is attached to sundeck SS surround rail. Small propane bottle rests against rail in relaxed position while it's screwed into regulator that is them affixed to grill's acceptor opening. Screwing P btl onto regulator takes couple seconds. Unscrewing it takes same. I never leave regulator screwed onto P btl unless in use. Clear plastic container with snap top carries my general BBQ equipment. Inside closed and covered BBQ are scrub brush cleaner etc. I keep extra P btls in vented but closed plastic container under dash on fly bridge. I never have rust problem spoken of on this thread.

Dark canvas box-looking item on rear sundeck rail is BBQ put to bed! :D

Simple is as simple does... as well... safety is as safety does!! :dance:

Attachments

• TO - Stbd in Tules 100_0433.jpg
    TO - Stbd in Tules 100_0433.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 123
I heard from Worthington. They say plenty of places still have the ones that I want but they named all the places that I know to have switched to the metal rings.

If I cannot get any more of the right ones I will take everyone's advice that has posted here, including filling my own.

"Plastic bag over canister and elastic band around top."
I like RTF's suggestion. Simple, quick, cheap and effective.

Art, I have to ask, with all do respect to your guru status. Are you aground or are you having nav issues. We don't see that kind of beach up here in the N.W. much. Seriously though are you tied off to something or anchored. Just curious.:)

We also use a 20# bottle with a feed long enough to reach the Magma on the rail hanging outboard so any grease drips in the water. the bottle is lashed in the corner. I can disconnect the hose from the BBQ and hook up to the crab cooker without moving the bottle.

We also use a 20# bottle. The feed reaches the Magma on the rail, that hangs outboard so any grease drips into the water. I can disconnect the hose from the BBQ and hook up to the crab cooker without moving the bottle, which is lashed in the corner.

Attachments

• 080.jpg
    080.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 93
Art, I have to ask, with all do respect to your guru status. Are you aground or are you having nav issues. We don't see that kind of beach up here in the N.W. much. Seriously though are you tied off to something or anchored. Just curious.:)

Steve

Front of boat is in 2 to 4 foot water... rear is 16 to 20 foot deep. SF Delta Islands have clean-of-growth steep edge drop offs in current driven sloughs. Island bays get silted with bottom growth that actually reaches surface; often even at high tide. This delta is most unusual in its context. Great easy-peazie fun too! Lots o' swimming!! :dance:

In this pict to which you refer, I've a grappling anchor on shore in front. some times in different locations we set a rear anchor too

Last edited:
My last email to Worthington stated that I may refill them myself. That got their attention big time. You don't get too many emails in all CAPS, which in netiquette means they are yelling at you.

Duct tape the bottom of the new bottle. They sell black and white duct tape that won't look so tacky.

or

Spray the bottom of the bottle with WD-40 to delay the rust.

See there...two jobs for the two top go-to tools in any man's tool box. :D

wd40-ducttape.jpg

Very simple, position the bottle under the pit so the grease drips on it, no more rust.

Thanks Steve.

I have always thought of Louisiana as being our closest foreign country...especially at Contraband Days at LC. Used to take our boat over from Galveston to a friend's camp north of the RR bridge.

I guarantee that some coon ass will have his propane bottle under the grill on his pontoon boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom