What to trawler-do in Miami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

r-rossow

Vessel Name
Southern Promise MMSI 258170360
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 55 Mk1
My wife and I will be holidaying in Miami mid-November for half a week. We will then be heading out to Barbados to join a weeklong cruise in the Caribbean. After that, back to what I expect will be a snow-covered Scandinavia.

I am one of those fortunate to have a wife that shares my love for motor boating at slow speed (aka trawlering). We plan to spend our days in Miami doing “boat stuff”, whatever comes along. So far we only have one point on our to-do list, get a fix at a marine supply store.

So for the rest of the week, any suggestions from you Floridians (or anyone else) on what to do?
A trawler-filled marina open to the public for sightseeing + lunch? Any trawler related event in Florida taking place November 16 – 20? Any recommended Key to vistit?

Any and all suggestions are welcome

Since you ar there for a few days I assume that you wont be on a boat. In that case if you are interested in early Biscayne bay boating history visit the Barnacle museum. Not too far from Dinner key marina.
The Barnacle Society

A bit of Miami Cuban food at the Versailles Restaurant - Miami - The World's Most Famous Cuban Restaurant

The tour boats from Ft. Lauderdale, los olas blvd on the new river offer entertaining views of life in S Florida.
Jungle Queen Cruises - Sightseeing Riverboat Tours in Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale Riverfront Cruises & Sightseeing Boat Tours

South beach after dark for the stuff of movies.

The keys require some driving and the furthest, Key West is very different. My preference would be to stay in the Maimi area instead of spending your time driving.

Last edited:
Anchorages:
Miami Stadium for the best view of the Miami Skyline
Elliott Key for gin clear water. Can be crowded on weekends.
Sunset anchorage for easy access to Miami Beach.

"So far we only have one point on our to-do list, get a fix at a marine supply store."
Boy do I have a marine store for you to visit! Moderators, do the rules prevent me from inviting them to stop by for some Cuban coffee?

Coconut Grove and Dinner Key Marina offer some good boat watching and on water dining.

A day trip south to the Everglades National Park and a walk on the Anhinga Trail would be nice in November. You should see a lot of interesting birds, fish and alligators. On your way to the park, stop at Robert is Here for a key lime milk shake.
Anhinga Trail - Everglades National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Are you interested in fishing? A half day charter should get you a sailfish in November.

Where are you staying in Miami?

Great suggestions. Dinner Key Marina at Coconut Grove is a good bet. What kind of anchor do you have?:D

If you like cozy, romantic coves for anchoring, check out Smugglers Cove in Key Biscayne, the entrance being Pines Canal, just north of the entrance to No Name Harbor. Just inside the canal entrance, it opens to the Cove, maybe it looks narrow and shallow, but 7 ft. or more can be expected at the entrance, and maybe 12-15 or so in the cove. Great swimming off the boat, surounded by ritzy homes and boats. Mud bottom, and small beach for landing a dinghy. Only 200 yards from No Name Harbor and waterfront restaurant..good fish, concrete wall docking free during daylight hours. No name is also a good place to anchor overnight but there's a 14 buck charge last time I was there. Could be latin music loud on weekends.

I find many marinas are gated and closed to the public. If you go to the office ask for rates and say you are a boat owner, maybe you are thinking of visiting there in the future they will usually let you in to have a look around. Dinner Key marina is very nice the office the old PanAm terminal for flying boats is worth the visit in itself.

Last edited:
Guys, you have failed to observe he is not coming there with his trawler!

In my opinion the very best thing to do is rent a runabout and sight-see by water.
Club Nautico is a place I've used over the years and been happy with.

Don, you're a trouble maker. You know we don't use the "A" word.

R-Rosswo - I think we're confused. Will you be on a boat in Miami or are you just passing through and flying down to Barbados?

Steve, the old Pan Am Terminal isn't the marina office, it's the Miami City Hall!

caltexflanc is the one who got it right, we will be flying in from the other side of the pond!
Google Earth tells me the great circle distance from my location to Miami is 4113 nautical miles

If you really want to see and do some boat stuff, take a day or two and head up to Ft. Lauderdale. There several marinas close together, the water taxi tours and a couple of used/consignment stores all within a couple miles.

Bayview supposed you would not be on a boat in reply number one . I guess that doesn't count around here.

You're right Bayview, I didn't catch that one

I stand corrected!

Back
Top Bottom