Life Line Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllanY

Vessel Make
Cheoy Lee, Trawler
I need to replace my lifelines. I think they are original (1982)

What are you using?? Mine are at present plastic covered SS wire with swaged fittings

Have you heard of anyone using Specta rope or similar??

I have heard of it being used on yachts with good results.

Allan

Allan,
I take it you are talking about the lines in your gunnel rails.
I have plastic coated s/s wire on mine , swaged loops with small turnbuckles for tensioning.
15 years on and still pretty good , may have to renew during the next couple of years.
Spectra or the like may be ok but does not look the goods in my opinion.

Benn

Hi Benn

Yes I agree however I thought I would ask the question

My lines are starting to rust under the plastic and so I think I will look at a replacement program.

Do you knoe if the hand (bolt cutter type) swaging tools will swage the rigging type terminals or only the alloy type??

Allan

Allan, for the reasons you have stated, we stopped using coated lifelines over a decade ago. We went with SS rigging wire that can be sized and have the correct fittings attached at any rigging shop. Chuck

Hi Chuck

Yes the rigging shop would be the answer however there is no rinning shop within coee of where the boat is moored and because of the lifeline fitment it will have to be done onsite I think

I am hoping I can find a swaging tool that I can buy or borrow that will do the job or I will have to come up with plan B

Allan

Allan,
Yes a good sized set of hand crimpers will do the job but easier to measure up and take them to the local chandlery and have them swaged, this is where the turnbuckles come in to tension the whole show up nice and tight.
Even though you get a bit of tea leafing under the plastic I stick with this for safety, once a strand of wire goes and you get a fish hook or two they can cause a nasty little injury especially to any little tykes on board.
Hopefully comming up to Sandy Straights in Sept for a couple of weeks, not doing the the North trip this year but all going well heading to Tassie in Nov.

Benn

The nicropress crimprer that uses 2 box wrenches is only $30 or so.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom