Ship backs over docked boats.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Makes my docking technique look down-right professional!

I'll bookmark that video and watch it when I get home from the boat. Sounds like just the thing to make me feel better about my docking skills :)

I'll bookmark that video and watch it when I get home from the boat. Sounds like just the thing to make me feel better about my docking skills :)

It will make you cringe.The carnage is just massive and could have been avoided.There is a tug there and I couldn't tell the tug was even trying to help the situation.It looked like to me the captain had an anger management issue,threw up his hands,said to heck with it,and just backed over everything in the marina while trying to turn around.

Let's hope there were no people aboard those boats.

When and where was this? What happened to the captain and were the boats replaced by the ship's owner?

I saw this video earlier this year. Believe it was in Europe or Scandinavia somewhere. The ship was headed to the back of the harbor for some commercial work as I remember it. Someone's getting new boats, and new docks, and maybe some pilings to keep the big boys out of the docks.

I would say that this is a good reason to not take the outside slip at the marina, but being inside didn't help any either.

I have seen that before and as I recall the ship's skipper lost the ability to control the boat due to a malfunction of something.

As tight as that waterway seems to be, maybe they need restrictions on the size of vessels that ply those waters, or required tugs bow and stern to keep them off some poor working mans little piece of heaven.

You know that phone call had to be tough to receive: "Sven, vour boat hass sunk" And Sven says "Its noot Arpiil Fools".

Ok guys, this fits right in there.

Talk about an instant upgrade on your old boat...heh. One of the owners commented, "I really like the new Nordhaven 48".

I heard somewhere the tugboat failed, then the freighter had to do his best with no tug.

It would appear as though a lack of communication between the ship and tug. The ship has its rudder turned hard down and is coming ahead which would normally allow for the stern to be pushed away from the marina. The tug is pushing the opposite way pulling the bow away and pushing the stern into the marina. In that the tug is facing the opposite direction of the ship I would hazard to guess a "come ahead" order was issued by the ship and the tug "came ahead" but was facing the opposite direction.
Heartbreaking

Back
Top Bottom