Cat 3208TA surges at idle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pau Hana

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Pau Hana
Vessel Make
1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
My starboard engine surges between 600-800 RPM at idle; she is fine under load above 1000 RPM. Ideas?

Try adjusting idle slightly higher. Also, stability improves as engine warms up, so if issue is only when cold don't worry about it.

Check actual rpm with phototach. If below around 550, governor dips into something best described as starting mode, where rack slams way up to get rpms to recover.

There are also problems with governor that can do this, but I'm not expert on the inside of the box.

Has it always done this? Was any work done that precipitated it?
Not familiar with cat IPs but following makers instructions for basic idle set including any bumper adjustments is what I would do to start.

Started in the last month. I did install a Glendinning engine control system (throttles and gears).

I'll set the idle tomorrow when we get back and report back.

Peter, funny but we are working on same thing. Note I have same engines and same sync, mine surges exactly as described (lead Engine on mine is starboard which is the one that surges) Once the engine warms the surging stops, about 3 or 4 minutes. Rather annoying until it settles down.

The Glenn system maybe adding delay in the feedback response. Set idle and especially bumper or whatever catcalls it the call Glenn it might need a different spring

Last edited:
Peter, did you make any progress with your engine surging? I noticed this for the first time last night on our boat. Engines purr at 500rpm but between about 700-1000 the Port engine was surging just a bit. I haven't noticed this before.

Yes. When I installed the Glendinning, I ran the throttle stop back too far while adjusting. Reset the unit, and all is well!

Back
Top Bottom