smell from vacuflush

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
shangra la
Vessel Make
1986 marine trader trawler
I have a 47 foot marine trader trade winds . It has 2 vacu flush toilets. When you flush the toilet there is a burnt smell coming from the engine compartment. The smell comes from the vacuum pump. It is not a sewer smell. It is not a electrical burnt smell. I cannot describe the smell any more than a burnt smell. Thanks Capt Phil.

Where are you pulling your water from, sea of fresh water tank?

OK that elimates one possibility. Any burnt wires on the pump or the vacuum pods?

the system works great except for the smell. Checked for wires no problem. This is not burnt electrical smell. It is almost like a burnt poop smell. There has been not number twos taken on this boat. The boat is pumped out every other week. My wife is the only one that uses the toilet. Number one only. No smell in the bathroom.Only the engine room and out the ER vents on the outside of the hull

Poop filter? This is your vent to your holding tank. Broke line or failure of the filter may be. A lot of guys here recommend this stuff which I use too.

Noflex Digestor

i will check the filter when i return to the boat this weekend. Thanks. but I think it is something mechanical no sewer smell at all.

Paper is organic, and can smell like poop when it decomposes.

we are not using any paper. We put the paper in the trash. Mexico style

If you can contact Peggie Hall, who knows more about marine sanitation systems than anyone, and pose your question to her she may have the answer for you, or at least some good suggestions. She is an expert on the Vacuflush system (as well as most everything else).

She is no longer active on boating forums but if you look her up in the archives of this forum and get her website off one of her past posts she will usually answer a question sent directly to her.

Worth a try, perhaps.

The bellows may be wearing out. Could have a motor bearing going bad. Also, make sure you are flushing plenty of water through the system. Smells are pretty hard to diagnose here on the interweb.

Try calling Environmental Marine in Ft Lauderdale, they are very knowledgeable and helpful and a great place to buy parts from.

About us

If it smells like burning wires then it most likely is, check all your connections making sure they are clean, I would even have your wife flush the system as you nose around, touch different parts and wires to see if its hot.

You might also consider the sanitation hoses. If they are more than a few years old, they get permeated--even the odor-safe variety.

The pump motor?

Yep:

SWpump__78684.1405351345.220.220.jpg

...Just an idea, do this:
Put a full glass of cooking oil in the bowl and flush. Then, feel the smell again. If it smells like cooking than something is not correct with your wiring or pump.

Besides that, you'll be smoothing up your hoses.

Portuguese

maybe feel around the pump while it is running.. if anything is overly hot, you may have found your culprit.

Back
Top Bottom