Alaska The Easy Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Datenight

Guru
Vessel Name
Datenight
Vessel Make
North Pacific 45
Hello all. We just finished the land tour and boarded the Norwegian Sun Nassau in Whittier.

Anyone recognize these shots!?

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_0450.jpg
    IMG_0450.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0451.jpg
    IMG_0451.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0452.jpg
    IMG_0452.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Icy Straight, Hubbard Glacier. What fantastic weather!

Attachments

• IMG_0464.jpg
    IMG_0464.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0463.jpg
    IMG_0463.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 109
Yes, Alaska is breathtaking.

232323232%7Ffp54378%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D396%3A%3C36656336nu0mrj

Yes that is cliffside marina in Whittier.

We were home ported at the ciry harbor for many years but had to mover to Seward when we bought our last boat. I also spent 6 years working in Whittier week on/week off at the submarine fiber optic cable landing station.

Cliffside is a condo marina with 50' slips selling for approx 135K and also a $4500 a year maintenance fee if memory serves correct. Too rich for my blood.

Seward on the other hand is 2500 a year for a 50' slip and Seward is a real town.

Hope you had a great time in Alaska, and please look me up if you get to Seward!

Seward is a real town.

Hey now the Whittidiots may disagree!!:D Seward is a great place, I wish it was a little farther north. Yep that Whittier is an expensive marina.... What is the wait time for Whittier marina? Last time I looked it was 17 years, average...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey now the Whittidiots may disagree!!:D Seward is a great place, I wish it was a little farther north. Yep that Whittier is an expensive marina.... What is the wait time for Whittier marina? Last time I looke dit was 17 years, average...

Sue the harbormaster looked at me when we bought our last boat and said she did not think I had the life expectancy to get a 50' slip.

and I was 49 at the time. :blush:

Seward has allot of charter boats in the 50'r ange so slips turn over as the charter outfits come in and out of business. My wait in Seward was 3 years, which I planned for by getting on the slip list before buying our current boat.

Last edited:
Sue the harbormaster looked at me when we bought our last boat and said she did not think I had the life expectancy to get a 50' slip.

and I was 49 at the time. :blush:

Seward has allot of charter boats in the 50'r ange so slips turn over as the charter outfits come in and out of business. My wait in Seward was 3 years, which I planned for by getting on the slip list before buying our current boat.

Hard for those of us in some areas to imagine having to wait for slips like that. Is it just impossible to get permits to enlarge or build new marinas?

Hard for those of us in some areas to imagine having to wait for slips like that. Is it just impossible to get permits to enlarge or build new marinas?

I'm not sure what the issue is. Some town are better at getting funding than others.

Seward seems to be pretty good at expanding their marina, Whittier not so much.f local politics I suppose.

I'm not sure what the issue is. Some town are better at getting funding than others.

Seward seems to be pretty good at expanding their marina, Whittier not so much.f local politics I suppose.

The sturdiest and best built docks I have seen on the West Coast from San Diego to Homer are the new docks at Heritage in Wrangell. The city fathers talked about how this new addition would be good for boater tourism and were correct. We've some friends who travel both coasts in their 112' Westport and agree but go far as to say include the East Coast too.

If you want permanent, a 50' slip there was less than $ 1500 per year as I recall from two years ago. And Wrangell seems a much more hospitable place than Whittier in many respects. But, Whittier commands the Anchorage distance advantage for PW Sound and like Broncos NFL tickets stay in the family.

The sturdiest and best built docks I have seen on the West Coast from San Diego to Homer are the new docks at Heritage in Wrangell. The city fathers talked about how this new addition would be good for boater tourism and were correct. We've some friends who travel both coasts in their 112' Westport and agree but go far as to say include the East Coast too.

If you want permanent, a 50' slip there was less than $ 1500 per year as I recall from two years ago. And Wrangell seems a much more hospitable place than Whittier in many respects. But, Whittier commands the Anchorage distance advantage for PW Sound and like Broncos NFL tickets stay in the family.

I cannot vouch for best from San Diego to Homer having not checked them all out but Heritage is very nice. Walk from town a bit but nice exercise too. And that 50' slip is actually $1250 per year. For those of us from other areas the dockage in the PNW on the whole is very low and all the transient dockage under $1 per foot in Washington and Alaska pretty shocking.

Kevin,

We are still living the dream! Spent today in Juneau with a visit to the Menddenhall Glacier in the morning and a run up Tracey Arm. It just gets better and better.

Super, we will be in Skagway tomorrow and Ketchikan Saturday. Will give you a wave. Arrive there at 1:00, then salmon fishing, back on the boat at 7:30….

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_0501.jpg
    IMG_0501.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0508.jpg
    IMG_0508.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0521.jpg
    IMG_0521.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 100
Rob-:thumb: Okay, Assume you have internet and your benock glasses with you as you are arriving in Tongass Narrows coming past Guard Island heading in to Ketchikan. On your Port side as you are passing Guard Island look towards the port side shore where we local peasants reside on the beach, look for the large American flag flying (12'x24'):socool: That will be us. As we currently are not planning to be in town we will keep an eye open for your vessel to coast by.
As you have your day planned with fishing we will hoist a cup of gas boat coffee in your honor. :whistling:
The Forth Parade starts at 12:00 and will be passing as you approrch the dock . You may have a choice seat as our main street is the ONLY street which runs directly next to the cruise ship mooring docks. Mark may have a photo to confirm what I am attempting to describe.
To- enjoy the very narrow part of the channel as you approach the airport on your staboard side. (Where the bridge to nowhere was to be) No fear, I love our current ferry service to the airport!!)
Enjoy our part of the world Ron and wonder why we who live here are so blessed.

Al -Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere)-Alaska:dance:

Ron another bit of why Alaska is great! I believe My Brother in Law, Capt. Dale Collins is the Sea Pilot on your voyage. Small world say what!
Al

Al,

Small would indeed! Too bad I did not check TF earlier so I missed your home. We did have a great (again) day. Fishing today with Captain Ty out of Knutson (SP?) Cove. Most likely the most expensive fish I will ever eat but what a day.

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_0530.jpg
    IMG_0530.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 95
However on the other hand Rob I believe I saw you!!
I have a very powerful pair of Chinese Army Engineers survey binoculars with range and power to see into staterooms as the vessels pass by.
If you were on deck the bright red jacket you have on was spotted. Never be totally sure but I waved to you in passing. Glad you had a successful abit expensive outing.
Some of us locals arrange with commercial fisherman to purchase at a margin above the cold storage fish buyers prices for the quantity of salmon we require, smoke and then jar them up.
See you back on the TF. AMJ-Ketchikan

Whittier wait list is now over 18 years, $35 a day for a transient "no-power" berth, and the berths are too small and too tight. Lots of 30'+ boats in 28' berths, wedged together so tightly sometimes you have to walk your boat backwards out to turn around.

Seward has linear dockage for about $22 a day, haven't checked on wait times for a 30' boat. It's too far from everything I want to do, poor anchorages in the Bay and the fishing is pretty beat up.

Homer is $215 a month for transient, and you could come back to find your boat buried under two others tied to the outside of you. I had a spot next to the Seldovia ferry where no one wanted to tie outside of you for fear of being smacked by the ferry as it docked this spring.

Lots of empty spots in Homer and Seward, you can tell tell the cost of boat ownership is taking a toll. Most of the smaller boats now go in and out from a trailer and don't dock, most people look at smaller boats for that reason.

Cliffside Marina is the nicest dock in Whittier, way above the standard of the public docks. It takes a horrible beating in the winter from the North wind, most boat owners pull their boats out before winter to avoid damage from wind and ice. My best friend owns a slip there, he is leasing it out this year for $550 a month, many are empty all season and I believe were purchased as investments (speculation purchases) rather than to use.

I am currently in Seward tied off in linear dockage, and plan to make the move to the Sound this week, time to go shrimping :)

Al,

If you looked into our stateroom I was wearing something less than the red jacket! The cruise ends tomorrow in Vancouver. We will spend a few days there visiting our neighbors parents and sightseeing then off to Seattle to visit a high school friend before heading back to Connecticut.

It has been an amazing trip. We hope to come back again on a less scheduled vacation to have a better chance to get to know the people.

Don't tell anyone what a paradise you have here.

Rob

Rob- Lucky it didn't rain while you were here!! Almost 13 inches in June! (New rainfall record for June)
Coming back? Okay, fly to Vancouver B.C., Rent a car drive to Harrison Hot Springs Resort an hour or so from Vancouver, Bring you swim suits. Enjoy the hot-spring pools at the Harrison Hot Springs Resort and a fabulous German schnitzel at the Black Forest Inn. Continue on to Prince Rupert B.C. in total about a two and half day drive. Fantastic scenery and Europe class roads. Turn in the car at Prince Rupert B.C. and board your ferry for Ketchikan, 6 hour trip (You want to schedule your trip to the best departure times out of Prince Rupert) to Ketchikan, Rent a car in Ketchikan and a B&B. Rent a skiff at Kundson Cove Marina. They will process your fish and hold for your departure. Fly out of Ketchikan with fish. If the schedule permits, you will be able to make your home town in one day. Hard to believe it is that simple.
You can thank me later.
Al -Ketchikan-(Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska

I am currently in Seward tied off in linear dockage, and plan to make the move to the Sound this week, time to go shrimping :)

Hey Doug

We're heading out on friday morning to go over to Hinchinbrook entrance and then to Seal rocks for some Ling fishing.

If you're still in Seward on Thursday evening, by all means look us up.

Al,

If you looked into our stateroom I was wearing something less than the red jacket! The cruise ends tomorrow in Vancouver. We will spend a few days there visiting our neighbors parents and sightseeing then off to Seattle to visit a high school friend before heading back to Connecticut.

It has been an amazing trip. We hope to come back again on a less scheduled vacation to have a better chance to get to know the people.

Don't tell anyone what a paradise you have here.

Rob

Rob, hope you had a great time! Please come back, and if you get a chance drop by Seward!

Kevin, you are correct, the town folk in Whittier do not want to expand or improve their docks as that means more Anchorage people will come. Whittier is anti-development. Its a shame as Whittier could out perform Seward and Homer combined, but then again that is how they have become known a whittiots....

Hi back Kevin,
I am headed out tomorrow morning (Tuesday) for the Sound, the weather looks good for a couple of days and I am out of shrimp :) I plan to troll the bluffs past Day Harbor and then night over at Fox Farm Bay. The silvers are starting to come in, I picked one up in an hour trolling between No Name and Cheval on my way around from Homer. I expect them to be hot and heavy past Day and around Knight. Going to spend all of July in the Sound and come back for the Derby. So sad, I am looking forward to meeting you.

I spent a night in Taz Basin and combed the beaches in Cup Cove and Sandy Bay. No treasure, just plastic trash...

Rob- Lucky it didn't rain while you were here!! Almost 13 inches in June! (New rainfall record for June)
Coming back? Okay, fly to Vancouver B.C., Rent a car drive to Harrison Hot Springs Resort an hour or so from Vancouver, Bring you swim suits. Enjoy the hot-spring pools at the Harrison Hot Springs Resort and a fabulous German schnitzel at the Black Forest Inn. Continue on to Prince Rupert B.C. in total about a two and half day drive. Fantastic scenery and Europe class roads. Turn in the car at Prince Rupert B.C. and board your ferry for Ketchikan, 6 hour trip (You want to schedule your trip to the best departure times out of Prince Rupert) to Ketchikan, Rent a car in Ketchikan and a B&B. Rent a skiff at Kundson Cove Marina. They will process your fish and hold for your departure. Fly out of Ketchikan with fish. If the schedule permits, you will be able to make your home town in one day. Hard to believe it is that simple.
You can thank me later.
Al -Ketchikan-(Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska

Al and Kevin,

Thanks. We will be back. I think it will be in two years when Diane retires and vacation time is not so rationed. The drive from Vancouver seems like just the thing we would like to do. We just spent a delightful day here in Vancouver and will visit the neighbors parents tomorrow.

If anyone makes it back east you would be welcome to spend a few days with us. This goes for anyone.

Taking the train to Seattle Wednesday morning.

Rob

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom