Holding tank location

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billylll

Guru
Vessel Name
WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Make
36 Gulstar MarkII
I purchased a 36 gallon Todd waste tank for my 1976 Gulfstar 36 MarkII. I'm wondering where others have located their holding tanks in this vessel. I need to plan out the engine room because in addition to the Holding tank I have a Raritan H-N-T Purasan, a dual 8D ABS battery box made by AC DC Inc which will start by holding (4) DEKA Unigy I 105AH AGM's for the new house battery bank. I have a Westerbeeke generator mounted in the rear of the ER near the steps to the aft cabin. I am doing away with the forward head so the aft head will be then only one on the boat. I'd like some advice from others with this model boat on trying to make space for this equipment and still be able to service the engines.
The forward head will have a Splendid washer/ dryer and the vanity it will be a utility room.
I'll be adding EDSON masts for Radar, FLIR, a KVH M3, and a TracPhone 252 and a Fleet Broadband 150 using a Skipper 150.
Bill

My holding tank is on the port side shelf agaist the bulkhead between the ER and aft head. Only 20 gallons, trying to figure out how to get a bigger one in same location. Wish I could put one in the bilge under the aft stateroom so it would be low and centered but don't see any way without tearing up the floor and shower.

How did you fit a washer in the forward head? Does it back up to the starboard hull or the bulkhead between the forward berth and the head?

My holding tank is on the port side shelf agaist the bulkhead between the ER and aft head. Only 20 gallons, trying to figure out how to get a bigger one in same location. Wish I could put one in the bilge under the aft stateroom so it would be low and centered but don't see any way without tearing up the floor and shower.

How did you fit a washer in the forward head? Does it back up to the starboard hull or the bulkhead between the forward berth and the head?

I haven't installed the Splendid in the fwd head yet, but I'm making a pedestal for it where the head used to be.
If I move my water heater, fresh water pump and gen battery the 36 gallon tank will go on the port ER shelf with room for my new fw pump the heater might just fit if not I'm thinking of relocating the port motor battery on a glassed pad I'm making to go over the fuel tank.
I really need to get to the boat hopefully this week and work it out. The PuraSan will go in the aft heads lower vanity.
It will be fairly tight.
Bill

I put a 30 gallon holding tank under the port bunk. It extends into the head where the RV style gravity toilet attaches. Uses about a pint of fresh water to flush. PVC pipe on an incline all the way to 8" below the pump out. Flexible hose finishes the connection. I've added additional support for the pipe run. Tank is angled inboard and aft to the pick up. We love it. Only casualty is that the First Mate's lower drawer is now about 6 inches deep. Makes for a nice conversation piece. PO had a rotted out aluminum tank between the bunks, with a horizontal hose run of about 12 feet, then a 90 elbow and more hose to the deck fitting. Horrible mess! Glad I got rid of it. I removed the forward head as well (it sat between the berths), removed the sink and made additional storage there for pantry items.

Attachments

• DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC_0035.jpg
    DSC_0035.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC_0036.jpg
    DSC_0036.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC_0038.jpg
    DSC_0038.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 103
Bilgewater thanks I'll investigate this location. I'm using a Raritan Marine Elegance about a pint a flush as well except when there's pooh.

Bill

Billl - I had to cut an extra access hole under the berth, as well as cut out the bulkhead that the lower drawer sat on. Careful measurement in the head allowed a snug fit for the tank. I had to have a short tank to allow the toilet to be mounted on top of it. It works very well for us.

Having the tank above the waterline allows gravity to drain the tank, where it's legal to dump. Otherwise, it must be pumped/sucked.

I'm only having 2 methods of draining the tank, through the deck by a pump out or through the H-N-T PuraSan treatment system. I'm basically copying what worked for me on my previous boat.
Bill

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom