Bending wet exhaust tube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arcticspud

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Noeta
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 46
The PO installed a non spec tube on the port engine that ran from the heat exchanger to the exhaust elbow. It is a really tight spot with both ports within 12" of each other and at 90° to each other too.

The ports are 1 3/8" and I am having a tough time making the bend without developing a kink. Does anyone know how to make a bend with introducing a kink? Do I hear up the whole hose in hot water?

Trident makes a corrugated hose, but the smallest size is 1 1/2" so that is out.

Here is the non spec hose. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1400685619.092561.jpg

Instead of trying to bend the exhaust hose, which will put pressure on each end, take a look at Centek Industries. They make fiberglass exhaust elbows for the marine industry. A 45 degree elbow, supported, might work. I have a couple of theirs in use.

Centek Industries - Products

Last edited:
I thought about that. The hose is 1 3/8" which is 1.375. I have not found an elbow that size.

Use a longer proper hose with gradual bends and loop it if necessary.

I guess I was wondering if I heat up the whole hose will I be able to bend it without introducing a kink.

It's a crappy layout that I get to fix.

Go to the auto parts store and look on their rack for a car radiator hose with the right inside diameter and preformed bends. Cut the hose to get the bent portion that fits.

I would go to a local muffler shop and have them bend SS tubing for you. Most have a hydraulic press than can bend up to 90 degrees. I replace my disel fill hose and had them bend some 1 1/2 SS for me. They did it for free while I waited from their scrap.

Last edited:
Go to the auto parts store and look on their rack for a car radiator hose with the right inside diameter and preformed bends. Cut the hose to get the bent portion that fits.

Ski is absolutely right. With the exception of the raw water connection to the sea water pump and the exhaust hoses, virtually all marine engines are plumbed with formed, reinforced hoses of automotive quality and construction, and single-clamped to boot! Automotive grade hoses are designed to operate at pressures and temperatures far exceeding anything they will see in service on a pleasure boat engine. The outlet temperature of the raw cooling water should only be warm at most, and under very low pressure. Go get a formed hose at the nearest auto supply, trim it to fit, and you will be just fine.

Larry
M/V Boomarang

I see a stainless elbow as a temporary fix. Stainless is great right up to the point it fails. I would like to find a 1 3/8" elbow made from resin similar to the exhaust systems.

I agree with Ski. I've done the same thing. Gates and other hose mfgr. have catalogues with all kinds of hose bends. I bought one and trimmed the legs to suit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom