Clutch Adjustment Maxwell Nilsson VWC700 (?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IMG2

Veteran Member
HI all. My boat is still new to me, having owned it only 4 months. I'm trying to adjust the clutch on what I thnk is a Maxwell VWC700 windlass. It is installed on an Ocean Alexander 44 and I think it's original equipment. Looking down on it, on top of the capstan is a screw and two holes in the top. It looks like a spanner wrench would fit. Do I turn this to tighten up the clutch? mine won't bring a 45 pound danroth fully into the bow roller.Most of the other windlasses I've seen had slots in the side where I think the clutch handle might go in. The motor runs fine and it brings up the anchor when I deploy it in the slip, but I'm concerned about it's ability to work properly when conditions get rough. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a Nilsson and your description sounds like we have the same or similar equipment.
Yes the spanner wrench will tighten the clutch when turned clockwise. I make mine pretty tight when I bring the anchor up. No problem bringing up a 44 Delta.

HI all. My boat is still new to me, having owned it only 4 months. I'm trying to adjust the clutch on what I thnk is a Maxwell VWC700 windlass. It is installed on an Ocean Alexander 44 and I think it's original equipment. Looking down on it, on top of the capstan is a screw and two holes in the top. It looks like a spanner wrench would fit. Do I turn this to tighten up the clutch? mine won't bring a 45 pound danroth fully into the bow roller.Most of the other windlasses I've seen had slots in the side where I think the clutch handle might go in. The motor runs fine and it brings up the anchor when I deploy it in the slip, but I'm concerned about it's ability to work properly when conditions get rough. Any help would be appreciated.

Our OA 44 has the same windlass. As stated above righty tighty with the spanner. By the way, if the windlass ever needs a rebuild, I have the name of a good shop in the Seattle area somewhere in my records. Also, if you have the push button switches at the upper and lower helm, and they cease to function, the electronic voltage protection circuit board can be bypassed. A sailboat in our previous marina was struck by lightning a few years back and electronics on many boats took a residual hit...mostly electronic fuel controls. The only items on our boat that were damaged were those two windlass control panels. I couldn't locate new panels and the repair was far below insurance deductible, so I rigged up a bypass.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom