Video engine monitoring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timjet

Guru
I've got two camera's that I can place in the ER to monitor my Cummins 6BT's.
Any advice on where best to place them to monitor the engines while running?

I've got two camera's that I can place in the ER to monitor my Cummins 6BT's.
Any advice on where best to place them to monitor the engines while running?

Funny, I'm on my boat doing that same job rite now.

I'm going to mount a single camera looking aft at the walkway between the engines and try it out.

We have one looking at each engine-both set up aimed sort of at the inboard, front corner of the engine. I can see all the belts, pulleys, etc on the front of the engine as well as down the length of each. Don't know how effective that is as nothing bad has happened yet! I check the video every 30 minutes or so just for fun.

I have two engine room cameras and a small display that lets me toggle back and forth between the two. This setup lets me see most of the stuff I worry about.

One camera at the centre of the aft bulkhead looks forward between the engines and at the generator.
One camera on the stbd side of the forward bulkhead looks aft at roughly 45 degrees over the top of the generator and onto the front of both engines.

With engineroom lights on I get reasonably sharp pictures in color. The cameras switch automatically to infra-red if the engine room goes dark - nice except the picture is then monochrome. The only small problem I found with cameras looking (roughly) at each other in the dark is that the infra-red lights of one tends to dazzle the other - a bit like someone shining a flashlight in your eyes at night. I have rigged two small Sunbrella curtains about 6" x 6" strategically located to block the IR dazzle.

Now if there was only a way of sniffing the air down there without lifting the engine room hatches!

With twins, I tried to to get both engines in one camera field from the front and one aft, but the field of view was too narrow. So I mounted mine fwd of each engine aimed like THD described. All ER video displays on the HDTV since it's not normally used while underway.

Here's what it looked like in the middle of the job! :eek:

img_231223_0_f7b22479d9030da3ca87a0999e5a318f.jpg

Here's a comparison with ER lights on and off:

img_231223_1_4390021ad26183da2ba3f28997139467.jpg

img_231223_2_7f5ca796205b6a58cfe35383631e4276.jpg

Port engine with ER lights on:

img_231223_3_1b307c9b5ceb9342d1a42fb521c0ea5e.jpg

AV Selector Panel for video power/camera select, WIFI, Combiner Defeat and Stereo input/speaker controls.

img_231223_4_d971cb927e6f02a476402f0cfffe623f.jpg

Last edited:
Kyle really likes your engine room Al. He wants our next boat to have a larger one and I tend to agree with that sentiment.

Tell my favorite sherpa I'll miss doing our Delta Loop Fest with him this year.

Here's a shot of Kyle with the ER completely dark.

img_231241_0_6e80ed4fde959b975c63fcf97720dcab.jpg

I am not saying video monitor is bad but wonder just what is to be gained. Personally I think a good set of engine and instrument monitors with audible alarms is much more efficient. I can not think of a situation where an alarm would not be faster and more specific about a problem then a video even if someone had their eyes glued to the video all the time which is not likely or even safe. By the time you see smoke even if you are looking( unlikely) the damage is long done. Yes you could spot a stowaway in your engine room however even there an alarm system would give earlier warning although not necessarily the full nature of the intruder. man or alligator?

My experience where video monitoring may have made a difference. Last year the hose clamp that secures the hose from the aftercooler to the tranny cooler broke and because of its location allowed sea water to spray into the intake air cleaner. There was no instrument or alarm indications that any thing was amiss. RPM never wavered. I was lucky that we arrived at our anchorage shortly after this occured.
Video monitoring may have made a difference.

Greetings,
The main reason I would like to monitor the ER by video camera is to keep an eye on the Admiral when she is doing the regular checks (every hour or two) while underway. In any sort of sea state there is a possibility of her slipping or otherwise injuring herself. She is out of sight and hearing anywhere from 3 to 10 minutes at a stretch. The boat is replaceable. She is NOT!

Last edited:
I was watching the engines on the cameras several months back when I noticed a tube hanging off the port engine near the air filter. A visit below verified that a breather tube had worked loose. I couldn't find one short section of hose at the time, but my spares had a 90 degree segment that worked perfectly. I reconnected the breather and continued. There was no mess and no harm done. The original section of hose turned up at the next engine service when the drip pan diapers were changed.

If I had not used the cameras, I might have missed the loose breather tube. I also use them to monitor for oil and fuel leaks on the white diapers.

Greetings,
The boat is replaceable. She is NOT!

Clearly a case of extreme brainwashing... you should video the Masters Quarters at night while you are sleeping.. The Admiral must be whispering subliminal messages in your ear while you sleep.. I have worked diligently to convince My Admiral that " The boat is irreplaceable.. she is not" !

:socool:

HOLLYWOOD

The boat is replaceable. She is NOT!

Clearly a case of extreme brainwashing... you should video the Masters Quarters at night while you are sleeping.. The Admiral must be whispering subliminal messages in your ear while you sleep.. I have worked diligently to convince My Admiral that " The boat is irreplaceable.. she is not" !

:socool:

HOLLYWOOD

Based upon avatars alone, I'd say you're both right.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom