Hemingway Classic in the Yard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopCar

Guru
Vessel Name
Possum
Vessel Make
Ellis 28
Hi Guys,
I made a delivery today to the old Merrill-Stevens boat yard on the Miami River. This is what I saw. The original is in Cuba so I know this is a replica but this is stunning.

I know there is a nice replica in a tackle store in the keys but I don't think this is that one. A little search found this: Replica of Hemingway boat - Sun Sentinel

I bet this is the one made for the movie. Andy Garcia has a home in Miami and I bet he owns it now. I'll try to find out more about it tomorrow.

The other boat is the yards tug. It is a beautiful classic down east lobster boat. I don't know her history but she is old. I'm glad to see they are fixing her up. That white stuff hanging down from the hull is caulking cotton.

No fiberglass on either of these ladies.

download

Attachments

• pilar.jpg
    pilar.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 136
  • yard boat.jpg
    yard boat.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 145
Here's a couple of shots under way. Wooden boat magazine did an article on her last august.ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1398421547.896366.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1398421628.771120.jpg

Via iPhone.

Without a doubt they are beautiful and I too am glad to see there are folks willing to preserve them...... but having owned many growing up in that era, whenever I see a wood boat my heart races, the hair stands up on the back of my neck and I want to run the other way. My beloved Uncle warned me when I bought his 32' Owens and I remember his words as if it were yesterday.... They're cursed, they're a tool of the devil "you will find yourself working on it when you know you should be doing something else" and you will spend money you know you can't afford, when you have exhausted your finances and your broke and divorced. Repeat the process :)

Come to think of it, be it wood or glass not much has changed in 40 years.

Pretty cool, they even have a Papa look-alike driving her. Needs those huge outriggers to really set it off.

The boat @ World wide Sportsman has two engines one is for trolling. My friend @ Jekyll Island has a 53 ft Wheeler made in 51 I think. Blue Water Marine Services - About
It is almost like new, but they are in constant maintenance mode.
Seeya,
S

Back
Top Bottom