Apollo 21/2 " Sea-cock In 2002 Sea Ray

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PACKARD

Hi First Post I am trying , shut off sea water to do an aftercooler service, looks like in the off position the valve is wide open. Groco Don recently posted that Series IBV, FBV, FV, & TWV will be replaced under an extended warranty?
Will be removing the top from the Sea Strainer to see if the full force is there with the handle in the off position, to be continued

Packard, Apollo Seacocks are not made by Groco so they can't help you.

When I first brought Apollo seacocks into my store I also brought in some parts for them. The only part I ever sold, aside from handles, was the stem for the 2-1/2" Apollo seacock. It seemed to be undersized. It would twist off if the seacock became stuck and you tried to force it. It was never a problem on the smaller ones.

To check the stem, remove the handle, then back out the packing screw. With the packing screw removed you should be able to pull the stem out with pliers to see if it's broken. Very little water should come in.

Here is a link to the parts list.
http://www.apollovalves.com/_products/78-sea/IOM_78-sea.pdf

Oh yeah, Welcome Aboard!
What ever you do, don't ask about anchors. The answer is always your anchor is too small, it's the wrong kind and you don't have enough chain.

Anchor, did you say anchor?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

Sorry, I shouldn't have used the A word.

Hi First Post I am trying , shut off sea water to do an aftercooler service, looks like in the off position the valve is wide open. Groco Don recently posted that Series IBV, FBV, FV, & TWV will be replaced under an extended warranty?
Will be removing the top from the Sea Strainer to see if the full force is there with the handle in the off position, to be continued

Traditional wisdom is to "exercise" (operate) seacocks on a regular basis perhaps every month or two. With a year 2002 boat one would think that this seacock would have been operated many times in the past.

Is this the first time you've attempted to close the seacock or have you done it in the past?

If you suspect the seacock is not shutting off the water flow, it would be safest to inspect it while out of the water. Also, I wouldn't expect a twelve year old seacock to still be under warranty. The seacock might be, but not the labor or haul out cost.

Back
Top Bottom