There's something wrong with our chosen recreation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonstruck

Guru
Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
While standing in line at most any restaurant in a waterfront area you can observe the following:

The tennis players in their crisp whites demonstrating their newest backhand delivery

The golfers in their spiffy golf outfits demonstrating their new swing or putting stance

Then you see a boating foursome with the guys in their cargo shorts and bar T shirts. One guy is bent way over with his head turned upwards, and he says, ", , , , , , , , , and their I was reaching around the head trying to free a hose clamp I couldn't see, and the whole time I was holding a joker valve between my teeth." Of course this was laced with some obscenities. We must be masochists.

Certainly anybody who goes to sea must enjoy a little pain and disappointment. But it feels so good when I get home and jump in the sauna. And tomorrow I do it all over again.

We definitely are masochists. We love standing on our head whilst crowded on the outboard side of a diesel engine that's still warm, trying to unscrew some gadget or gizmo that needs to be unscrewed.

The flip side of that...when the golfers and tennis players get done they have to drive home to their hum drum home to their hum drum wife and the hum drum kids and the hum drum dog.

We, on the other hand, get to spend the night on the water with a cold beverage in our hand as we watch the sun set. Priceless!

Not everybody does their own maintenance (I do) so many boat owners are in line in their West Marine boat shoes, shorts and knit shirts, some with their boat's name embroidered on them.

I think though, we may be the ones who ask for an inside table in the airconditioning while the others are sitting outside on the deck.

My wife and I were bedding down some caprail on Sunday with this TDS black caulk and it is some nasty stuff. Sunday was kinda nice so some of the other boaters showed up you know the kind with matching outfits and the sweaters tied around their neck. They always walk to far side of the dock when they pass William .It must be the wet paint. sawdust ,wet caulk or whatever. One lady so my wifes hands that were covered with this black caulk . She said "oh my your hands " .Wife said "no worries these are my Easter hands"

You mean the rest of you guys aren't dressed like this when you are on your yacht? Am I the only one?

judge_smails.jpg

Al:

You do indeed wear proper yachting attire.

Attachments

• Al's pink hat.jpeg
    Al's pink hat.jpeg
    15.3 KB · Views: 280
Wife hates tan lines...underway is the best place in the world!!

Wifey B: Tan lines? Oh I've never had any of them....

Seems to me bikini and coverup tops tennis whites and golf stuff.

And the rest of the time just casual beachy boaty wear. Sorry neither hubby nor I are wearing Bar T's. Oh we do also play tennis when we can as well, but I don't wear white. Often play tennis then get back on boat. Now, golf, boring to me.

I just seem to be breaking all the rules. Oh well.

Hubby B: Yes we do also like tennis. I played golf a bit when young, playing with my cousins. Until. Until I realized that rather than spending hours Saturday on the golf course I could have been having much more fun on the water. So played golf maybe 6 times in the last 25 years.

Wifey B: Ben Wright said I'm handicapped and can't play golf. Of course he said lots of things that got him in trouble.

Where's your imagination?

You could say you wuz just lying in your berth, off-watch, wonderin' what approach to use on yer new date for the weekend, and all of a sudden a huge trawler wake crossed under yer'own trawler and rolled her right over on her beam ends, and next thing ya'know yer date for the weekend gets rolled out of her berth above and falls right down on'ya. Not only that, but it turned out she liked it and next thing ya'know you wuz'a'makin' love, offwatch, o'course.

See if those candy-as- golfers and tennis dudes can match that, eh?

You guys have obviously missed the fact that I said "boating foursome" not yachting. This is not a thread for Thurston Howell III. Real boaters don't wear pink caps. You need to find an appropriate place for your discussions.:D

Well, excuuuuuuuuuuuuse me, Professor!! Some of us spend the money we saved on fuel and paint jobs on our elitist yachting attire. Sometimes I even have a little left over for my favorite adult beverage...some of the finest beer known to men this side of the railroad tracks.

In my circles, all boating foursomes include two finely dressed ladies to compliment their dapper Captains. Not too sure about your idea of foursomes....not that there's anything wrong with that!!

:hide:

Wifey B: I thought he looked good in his pink hat. Only real men have the courage to do that.

You mean the rest of you guys aren't dressed like this when you are on your yacht? Am I the only one?

judge_smails.jpg

Not at all, this side of the pond we are renowned for our sense of dress etiquette. We have even been known to play golf in thongs! (probably not what you are thinking)

Attachments

• boat slip 018.JPG
    boat slip 018.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 87
We don't wear no stinkin' pink hats on our boat. Both of us are usually in shorts (or swim suits) and a t-shirt. Or no shirt. Or no shorts.

We don't wear no stinkin' pink hats on our boat. Both of us are usually in shorts (or swim suits) and a t-shirt. Or no shirt. Or no shorts.

Wifey B: I have a couple of pink caps. One pink tennis visor that matches my pink tennis outfit with my pink tennis shoes...Oh I have other pink clothes too but I'll not get into them. And hubby does have a pink shirt. Wears it out when I need his shirt to match my outfit.

On the boat, mostly either bathing suits (bikini for me, often without the top or sometimes without any of it). The rest of the time t-shirts but not plain ones, and shorts. And the key word in shorts is short. Now I know this is heresy to some but if we're going to go do something on land, often mini-skirt for me instead of shorts. And hubby sometimes wears long pants, a habit I haven't broken him of.

But nothing wrong with pink hats. I like non conformists and men comfortable enough to wear pink.

I'm surprised that nobody has asked for pictures. This group is more civilized than I thought!

Al, is the twisted shoulder strap a fashion statement?

img_226595_0_9f73ce3495ca83fe40df2d493d814dfa.jpg

Hey...those are 'work' clothes, not my normal polished yachting attire.

I threw those on in a hurry to keep clean while I cleaned the fish. I wasn't expecting company that day!

In my circles, all boating foursomes include two finely dressed ladies to compliment their dapper Captains. ...

My sexy lady:

img_226617_0_46df71d44bd64e08d063fc49024c8c6b.png

Our sexy ladies:

img_226618_0_2f92ffb0e1e49e66f1e67bc5cca9b442.jpg

All very nice Mark, and congrats for managing to work in not one but several photos - all good, I grant you…but I want to see some of these people who skite about getting about in next to nothing, e.g., togs or bikinis often with tops or bottom left off, put their money where their mouth is. Of course that'll hafta go on OTDE I suppose...

All very nice Mark, and congrats for managing to work in not one but several photos - all good, I grant you…but I want to see some of these people who skite about getting about in next to nothing, e.g., togs or bikinis often with tops or bottom left off, put their money where their mouth is. Of course that'll hafta go on OTDE I suppose...

Don't you get enough of that at work, Peter? :socool: :eek: :D

Wifey B: ................ if we're going to go do something on land, often mini-skirt for me instead of shorts. And hubby sometimes wears long pants, a habit I haven't broken him of. .

That's fine as long as hubby doesn't start wearing a mini-skirt. ;)

We stopped at a marina on Hilton Head, SC and asked the dockmaster about restaurants. He suggested a nearby one we could walk to but said "You can't go dressed like that." I told him I had a pair of jeans on the boat He told me I couldn't wear jeans there either. We cooked on the boat.

So now I keep a pair of Bermuda shorts and a shirt with a collar on the boat "just in case".

Well, maybe if you just wore a regular skirt instead of a mini-skirt, they would have let you in!:)

We stopped at a marina on Hilton Head, SC and asked the dockmaster about restaurants. He suggested a nearby one we could walk to but said "You can't go dressed like that." I told him I had a pair of jeans on the boat He told me I couldn't wear jeans there either. We cooked on the boat.

So now I keep a pair of Bermuda shorts and a shirt with a collar on the boat "just in case".

Decades ago my parents and I pulled into an Atlanta restaurant for lunch. We knew it was fancy and dressy at dinner but this was 11:30 in the morning. Still my father was wearing shorts and my mother told him they'd never let him in. Well, we got out, went in. They said no. My father's response was, "Well, I've been kicked out of better places."

Atlanta is still a bit uptight. But also decades ago, Lorna Luft was performing in the club at the Regency Hyatt. One evening she ventured down to the restaurant, I believe it was Hugo's or something like that, wearing a pant suit. Designer I'm sure. Well, they wouldn't seat her. She asked why. Now they set off the firestorm saying, "We don't think pants are feminine." Not wise. She now walked around the restaurant asking the patrons one by one if they thought she looked feminine. It didn't take too long for someone to get a grasp on the situation and then seat her at a table way in the back near the kitchen. It also made the newspaper the following morning.

Wifey B: Don't think that's going to happen. He'd have to do a Joe Willie Namath and shave his legs to do that. Getting him to wear shorts more has been enough of a challenge but I've succeeded.

Just call in advance for a reservation for DOCTOR (your name) and you will usually get in.

Back
Top Bottom