Manatee Genset relocation III, hatch install

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Bucky
Vessel Make
Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
On we go. Here are the photos of the hatch frame installation and finished hatch lid. Click on photos for enlargement.

Attachments

• Hatch cut bare 1.jpg
    Hatch cut bare 1.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 185
  • hatch install 3.jpg
    hatch install 3.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 143
  • frame drops in 4.jpg
    frame drops in 4.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 144
  • glassing in frame 6.jpg
    glassing in frame 6.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 139
  • wrapping glass sheets 7.jpg
    wrapping glass sheets 7.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 131
  • clean-up 8.jpg
    clean-up 8.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 136
  • spray booth 10.jpg
    spray booth 10.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 133
  • final fit.jpg
    final fit.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 139
  • fits.jpg
    fits.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 139
Very nice work. It's very interesting to see how this is done right by professionals. Some things are better left to those who really know how to do it right!

Al: I was very fortunate to locate Teak Vinson for the extensive glass work. He's a hard worker with quite varied experience in custom fabrication. Hopefully, he will agree to do the job on other Manatees, especially since all the mistakes have already been learned on mine. I have had the genset in and out of there at least a dozen times now, trying to figure out every possible consequence before I bolt it down. I should add though, that the I've had the genset (375 lbs.) myself (240 lbs), and one other 300 lb. guy standing on the hatch lid and the perimeter, and there wasn't even a creak. It appears that the deck suffered no compromise in strength at all, which was my major concern for making a hatch so large. More to come.

Very nice work. It's very interesting to see how this is done right by professionals. Some things are better left to those who really know how to do it right!
I agree. Very nice work . When I see good fiberglass work like this I wander why I ever try .Wood work I can get by with but fiberglass is better left the pros.This is a great step by step project . Good job Larry

Back
Top Bottom