Coast Guard boardings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

temple1120

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Kelly Anne
Vessel Make
Custom 44' Bruce Roberts
Heading to Mobile and the Gulf very soon - any advice on getting boarded by the Coast Guard?

Heading to Mobile and the Gulf very soon - any advice on getting boarded by the Coast Guard?

Yes, get on your Vhf and say "yo Pedro, where you at, the yayo is getting wet. I'm anchored on the east side of the trash island, bring cash this time".

Temple 1120... in this edition (April) of Passage Maker, there's a great article about being boarded by the CG and other agencies... worth reading..

Get your local USCG Auxiliary to do a courtesy safety inspection and slap on the sticker. I've never been boarded as the Coasties see the sticker, wave and move on to some poor soul who doesn't have one.

Temple 1120... in this edition (April) of Passage Maker, there's a great article about being boarded by the CG and other agencies... worth reading..

Thanks- will look up!

Get your local USCG Auxiliary to do a courtesy safety inspection and slap on the sticker. I've never been boarded as the Coasties see the sticker, wave and move on to some poor soul who doesn't have one.

Appreciate it - will wait till we get to the gulf for the inspection

"Yes, get on your Vhf and say "yo Pedro, where you at, the yayo is getting wet. I'm anchored on the east side of the trash island, bring cash this time"."

Could it be that only us Miamians see the humor in that?

The Coast Guard always passes me, sans inspection sticker, nearly every time I'm out. (They are stationed in the same marina.) Last time out they zoomed by off Benicia in Carquinz Strait (pictured here) and later that day waved at us as we both approached the marina.

img_222061_0_a35241d603923552470ec62eccaa0f72.jpg

Did see them that day stopping aside a small, anchored boat containing fishermen. Suppose it depends on the practice/mood of the local USCG and whether they like "the cut of your jib."

Note to self: my flares expire in August.

Last edited:
I have been boarded once, in Pensacola Bay, no problem whatsoever. Everything was in order. I had firearms on board they gave instructions to unload before boarding, again no problem at all. It all took about 15-20 min we continued at idle speed they dropped off 3 C.G. from an outboard about 25' long them picked them up when finished.

I have been boarded once, in Pensacola Bay, no problem whatsoever. Everything was in order. I had firearms on board they gave instructions to unload before boarding, again no problem at all. It all took about 15-20 min we continued at idle speed they dropped off 3 C.G. from an outboard about 25' long them picked them up when finished.

Those guys stopped me just inside of Perdido Pass one Thanksgiving Day. I asked what did they do to get stuck with boardings on Thanksgiving. They laughed and said lack of seniority. Really nice young fellows, but thorough. No problem.

Yes, get on your Vhf and say "yo Pedro, where you at, the yayo is getting wet. I'm anchored on the east side of the trash island, bring cash this time".

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thanks. I needed that:thumb:

Richard got it because he's in Miami now.

Be polite and cooperative.

It's that simple. Show them respect. No different than any law enforcement. Politeness wins. Argumentative always loses.

and it's still funny every time I read it.

USCG Aux inspection stickers really mean very little in many places...knowing what I know about USCGAux inspections...I used to tell my boarding crews to totally ignore them...but it does depend on where and whom is doing the boarding.

Usually if everything is in order and you have everything handy including things like your waste management plan if over 40ft...and everything is neat and organized...plan on 15-30 minutes tops and it's usually painless.

yes, get on your vhf and say "yo pedro, where you at, the yayo is getting wet. I'm anchored on the east side of the trash island, bring cash this time".
hahahahahahahaha!!!!!

"Yes, get on your Vhf and say "yo Pedro, where you at, the yayo is getting wet. I'm anchored on the east side of the trash island, bring cash this time"."

Could it be that only us Miamians see the humor in that?

Ha! You're probably the only ones who know what 'yayo' means.

(but it was funny!)

I got boarded a few weeks ago on a run out Masonboro Inlet offshore. They called me on VHF and requested a boarding offshore. I told them the sea state was high enough that I felt a risk to the boat. I said if they are requiring me to cancel my trip, then I will turn around and head inshore, but I did not want to bring the boats together offshore. Dead air on the radio.... I proceded on at hull speed. Finally they called back and said they felt it was safe to board offshore. I asked if they would pay for any damage from the boats contacting. Again, dead air. Finally they came back and said no. I asked again if they insisted on boarding, I would cancel my trip and head inshore. Never got a direct answer. I radio'd them and said I was only going to be out a couple hours and could call them on my return. Dead air on the radio... then said they insisted on boarding. So finally I just turned around and headed back to the inlet, and told them I would meet them inside. Seemed like poor communications, no one could make a solid decision, etc.

Once inshore, the boarding went well, no issues. But the crew doing the boarding, while polite and professional, they did not understand some basics- like if you want me to show you something in the engine room while idling on AP, could you get your cohort to keep a watch??? I can either steer the boat or go in the engine room, not both!! No, the boat is under your command, we can't help in that regard, but we do need you to show us some stuff in the engine room. Ok, current is running, shoals nearby, I really need to keep in the channel. If he could just scream if I get shallow, that's fine. They talked for a while, no straight answer, so I just left it on AP and did a quick dive in the ER. Once in there, the guy was pretty dang quick!!!

Anyway, minor complaints, overall they were ok.

I'd bet that more people talk themselves into a confrontation with the USCG than we would believe. The ones I've encountered are very nice, very polite, quick with their inspection and a pleasure to have on board.

Having a type IV flotation device in prominent view might reduce the odds of boarding.

232323232%7Ffp54432%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3955%3C489%3B%3A336nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp54358%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D393%3A543%3A52336nu0mrj

USCG Aux inspection stickers really mean very little in many places...knowing what I know about USCGAux inspections...I used to tell my boarding crews to totally ignore them...but it does depend on where and whom is doing the boarding.

So is an Aux inspection, a waste of time in your opinion?

MB

MB

Well, an aux inspection will probably help bring your boat into compliance so when you actually get boarded by the real coast guard, you'll have a much better experience.

HopCar, We thought the wording on the original post was asking how to get boarded also. We're not from Miami, but we thought your reply was funny!

The inspection sticker does help, but remember ... the USCG is there to protect us. Be sure your safety equipment is up to snuff and you'll be okay. Any responsible boater would want to have (at minimum) the USCG required equipment.

MB

Depends on you...

If you aren't really up on the different areas of safety gear then it's a maybe because there are some really good ones, some that know the routine well enough but then there are those that overstep and tell you all kinds of things that just aren't true...whether they have anything to do with the inspection or not.

I spent 23 years in the USCG and have had boats all my life...never had a USCGAux inspection.

Waste of time? Hard to say but if you have never seen their checklist...go online and google USCGAux checklist and see how you do. If not sure about some things....even where something should be located...then it may be a good idea. But then follow up to make sure you got the straight tuff

Why not just be in compliance? Anything geared towards safety should be welcomed. A random safety and documentation check shouldn't be considered a big deal. If you know your vessel is compliant, your stress level will be greatly reduced. when they give you a copy of the 4100 form, you have a keeper for your doc book.It may get you a pass in the near future.

I have never been boarded but once down in the FL Thousand Is chain (Everglades) we came close. We were departing an overnight anchorage early one morning just getting out into the FL straights (very remote area) when a FL Marine Patrol boat come upon us from the opposite direction. I saw him veer closer to us and I was expecting a stop. He saw both the admiral and I were wearing our inflatable PFD's and suddenly turned away. Can't say the PFD's had anything to do with it though.

It seems the higher up the food chain the more professional they are. CG most professional, local LEO's least so.

I recall two stories in either the Cruisers Net or the Cruising and Sailing Forum of two separate boardings in different areas of FL, both by local LEO's.
The first occurred on the east coast on a 40 something sailboat on the AICW. The Capt. was down below making lunch when suddenly he hears a commotion looks up and see's a local LEO pointing a gun at him and telling him to freeze. They had been boarded w/o permission and before his wife could tell him what was happening. The purpose of the stop was a potty inspection.

The second was on the FL GICW when a local LEO requested and then according to the Capt of the sailboat demanded that the boat stop immediately. According to the Capt and writer of the article he was approaching a bridge in a narrow channel and told the LEO that he would have to wait to board until the boat was in a safe position to do so. He safely secured the boat w/o intervention by the LEO but according to the Capt the LEO's were rude and didn't seem to know the boats limitations or understand the situation.

But the crew doing the boarding, while polite and professional, they did not understand some basics- like if you want me to show you something in the engine room while idling on AP, could you get your cohort to keep a watch??? I can either steer the boat or go in the engine room, not both!! No, the boat is under your command, we can't help in that regard, but we do need you to show us some stuff in the engine room. Ok, current is running, shoals nearby, I really need to keep in the channel. If he could just scream if I get shallow, that's fine. They talked for a while, no straight answer, so I just left it on AP and did a quick dive in the ER. Once in there, the guy was pretty dang quick!!!

Seems consistent with what I've read. I would probably just tell them I will anchor and they will have to wait until it is safe to do so.

Were the LEO's that stopped you local, state, or GG?

I have been boarded a couple of times. Once for a random inspection as I was making the initial cruise from winter storage area to summer slip. Was at the mouth of the Ct River just as I was entering the breakwater to go into LI Sound.
No big deal, two officers came aboard, wife had all the paperwork in order. They asked a couple of questions, I blew the horn for them, and they printed out a "receipt" of sorts.
Didn't really cost me any time.
The second time was at my request as I called for assistance. Once again they were very polite.
On two other occasions when there was a submarine in the area (I boat near Groton, Ct), they came up in their inflatable and asked me to change course once and once to "turn the boat 180 and wait until the sub goes by". So we complied and that was all there was to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom