Trawler Forum

Trawler Forum (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/)
-   -   Coast Guard boardings (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/coast-guard-boardings-14277.html)

temple1120 03-23-2014 07:04 PM

Coast Guard boardings

Heading to Mobile and the Gulf very soon - any advice on getting boarded by the Coast Guard?

pilothouse king 03-23-2014 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by temple1120 (Post 222050)
Heading to Mobile and the Gulf very soon - any advice on getting boarded by the Coast Guard?

Yes, get on your Vhf and say "yo Pedro, where you at, the yayo is getting wet. I'm anchored on the east side of the trash island, bring cash this time".

Earl34Mainship 03-23-2014 07:19 PM

Temple 1120... in this edition (April) of Passage Maker, there's a great article about being boarded by the CG and other agencies... worth reading..

Underway 03-23-2014 07:23 PM

Get your local USCG Auxiliary to do a courtesy safety inspection and slap on the sticker. I've never been boarded as the Coasties see the sticker, wave and move on to some poor soul who doesn't have one.

temple1120 03-23-2014 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earl34Mainship (Post 222055)
Temple 1120... in this edition (April) of Passage Maker, there's a great article about being boarded by the CG and other agencies... worth reading..

Thanks- will look up!

temple1120 03-23-2014 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidgear (Post 222056)
Get your local USCG Auxiliary to do a courtesy safety inspection and slap on the sticker. I've never been boarded as the Coasties see the sticker, wave and move on to some poor soul who doesn't have one.

Appreciate it - will wait till we get to the gulf for the inspection

HopCar 03-23-2014 07:37 PM

"Yes, get on your Vhf and say "yo Pedro, where you at, the yayo is getting wet. I'm anchored on the east side of the trash island, bring cash this time"."

Could it be that only us Miamians see the humor in that?

markpierce 03-23-2014 07:39 PM

The Coast Guard always passes me, sans inspection sticker, nearly every time I'm out. (They are stationed in the same marina.) Last time out they zoomed by off Benicia in Carquinz Strait (pictured here) and later that day waved at us as we both approached the marina.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/attachme...2eccaa0f72.jpg

Did see them that day stopping aside a small, anchored boat containing fishermen. Suppose it depends on the practice/mood of the local USCG and whether they like "the cut of your jib."

Note to self: my flares expire in August.

Steve 03-23-2014 07:48 PM

I have been boarded once, in Pensacola Bay, no problem whatsoever. Everything was in order. I had firearms on board they gave instructions to unload before boarding, again no problem at all. It all took about 15-20 min we continued at idle speed they dropped off 3 C.G. from an outboard about 25' long them picked them up when finished.

Moonstruck 03-23-2014 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 222064)
I have been boarded once, in Pensacola Bay, no problem whatsoever. Everything was in order. I had firearms on board they gave instructions to unload before boarding, again no problem at all. It all took about 15-20 min we continued at idle speed they dropped off 3 C.G. from an outboard about 25' long them picked them up when finished.

Those guys stopped me just inside of Perdido Pass one Thanksgiving Day. I asked what did they do to get stuck with boardings on Thanksgiving. They laughed and said lack of seniority. Really nice young fellows, but thorough. No problem.

Wxx3 03-23-2014 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilothouse king (Post 222053)
Yes, get on your Vhf and say "yo Pedro, where you at, the yayo is getting wet. I'm anchored on the east side of the trash island, bring cash this time".

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thanks. I needed that:thumb:

HopCar 03-23-2014 08:26 PM

Richard got it because he's in Miami now.

BandB 03-23-2014 08:44 PM

Be polite and cooperative.

It's that simple. Show them respect. No different than any law enforcement. Politeness wins. Argumentative always loses.

Wxx3 03-23-2014 08:46 PM

and it's still funny every time I read it.

psneeld 03-23-2014 09:01 PM

USCG Aux inspection stickers really mean very little in many places...knowing what I know about USCGAux inspections...I used to tell my boarding crews to totally ignore them...but it does depend on where and whom is doing the boarding.

Usually if everything is in order and you have everything handy including things like your waste management plan if over 40ft...and everything is neat and organized...plan on 15-30 minutes tops and it's usually painless.

N4712 03-23-2014 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilothouse king (Post 222053)
yes, get on your vhf and say "yo pedro, where you at, the yayo is getting wet. I'm anchored on the east side of the trash island, bring cash this time".

hahahahahahahaha!!!!!

FlyWright 03-23-2014 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HopCar (Post 222060)
"Yes, get on your Vhf and say "yo Pedro, where you at, the yayo is getting wet. I'm anchored on the east side of the trash island, bring cash this time"."

Could it be that only us Miamians see the humor in that?

Ha! You're probably the only ones who know what 'yayo' means.

(but it was funny!)

Ski in NC 03-23-2014 10:06 PM

I got boarded a few weeks ago on a run out Masonboro Inlet offshore. They called me on VHF and requested a boarding offshore. I told them the sea state was high enough that I felt a risk to the boat. I said if they are requiring me to cancel my trip, then I will turn around and head inshore, but I did not want to bring the boats together offshore. Dead air on the radio.... I proceded on at hull speed. Finally they called back and said they felt it was safe to board offshore. I asked if they would pay for any damage from the boats contacting. Again, dead air. Finally they came back and said no. I asked again if they insisted on boarding, I would cancel my trip and head inshore. Never got a direct answer. I radio'd them and said I was only going to be out a couple hours and could call them on my return. Dead air on the radio... then said they insisted on boarding. So finally I just turned around and headed back to the inlet, and told them I would meet them inside. Seemed like poor communications, no one could make a solid decision, etc.

Once inshore, the boarding went well, no issues. But the crew doing the boarding, while polite and professional, they did not understand some basics- like if you want me to show you something in the engine room while idling on AP, could you get your cohort to keep a watch??? I can either steer the boat or go in the engine room, not both!! No, the boat is under your command, we can't help in that regard, but we do need you to show us some stuff in the engine room. Ok, current is running, shoals nearby, I really need to keep in the channel. If he could just scream if I get shallow, that's fine. They talked for a while, no straight answer, so I just left it on AP and did a quick dive in the ER. Once in there, the guy was pretty dang quick!!!

Anyway, minor complaints, overall they were ok.

GFC 03-23-2014 10:25 PM

I'd bet that more people talk themselves into a confrontation with the USCG than we would believe. The ones I've encountered are very nice, very polite, quick with their inspection and a pleasure to have on board.

markpierce 03-23-2014 10:28 PM

Having a type IV flotation device in prominent view might reduce the odds of boarding.

http://images2.snapfish.com/23232323...3B%3A336nu0mrj

http://images2.snapfish.com/23232323...%3A52336nu0mrj