Been away for a while...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
M/V Sherpa
Vessel Make
24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Hello all! I've been away from the forum for several months but am back. I've only been able to take Sherpa out a handful of times since November--work has kept me extremely busy and other hobbies required my attention. We took the trawler out Friday and enjoyed a nice cruise on the first day of spring. We journeyed from St. Petersburg to Clearwater and back via the intracoastal. I was planning to go home on the outside but encountered choppy water as I left Clearwater harbor--wasn't up to it and we had our three year old with us.

Anyway, great to be back. Forgot how much I enjoyed reading through the wealth of information on this site! :thumb:

VT,
Nice to hear from you and good to see that good looking Willard like trawler.

I don't think I've ever seen good pics of the Vashon below the WL.

Do you know "Vashon" is an island SW of Seattle? It's a wonderful place w lots of retirees. I went to summer camp there when I was 15 or so.

Have you seen my pics of two Vashons?

What engine do you have?

Hi, Manyboats. Yes, our hulls are quite similar and we likely share very similar handling/performance characteristics. My wife and I absolutely love the Willard line of trawlers and we almost bought a Willard 30' searcher. I've always thought that the Willard's look like *real* trawlers/trollers. My Vashon has a 29HP Volvo MD2030. She was originally powered with a 18HP Sabb (not Saab) diesel. Sherpa cruises around 5-6 knots and will burn around 1/3 to 1/2 gallons per hour depending upon RPM. Her FD hull has a draft of 3'3" and she handles extremely well in poor seas. I'm curious about your power plant and cruising speed.

Here are some photos of the bottom. These were taken by the yard so they are not HQ. I would love to see the photos you mentioned--can't remember if you've posted them before. Not many Vashons around so photos are relatively uncommon.

Attachments

• van der Kaay 4.10 2013 (4).jpg
    van der Kaay 4.10 2013 (4).jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 148
  • van der Kaay 4.10 2013 (2).jpg
    van der Kaay 4.10 2013 (2).jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 77
  • van der Kaay 4.10 2013 (6).jpg
    van der Kaay 4.10 2013 (6).jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 117
  • van der Kaay 4.10 2013 (3).jpg
    van der Kaay 4.10 2013 (3).jpg