Need Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trichamp

In the market for trawler with steps to fly bridge ,galley up , single engine. Berth on Tennessee river Knoxville area..Would like to do ICW in segments over a period of time,35-40 feet..New to the Trawler world.. Would appreciate any and all input.. Thanks Trichamp:dance:

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TF... you'll get lots of advice here... one suggestion is to hang around some marinas and see for yourself what's available and talk with owners... that will give you a better idea of what features are available then add to your "must have" and "don't need" lists.. please keep us posted and send pics...

Roger caltexflanc... I thought about steering him towards a MS, but I looked at lots of boats - made a matrix and settled on the MS... trichamp might prefer a GB or a tug or something once he does some looking... the MS offers a lot and in his search, he may settle on a MS - in fact I'll post a PM about a 2006 34' MS that he might like..

thanks Cal,

Roger Cal... I just sent Trichamp a PM telling him about a 34 MS that's available..

thanks Cal,

Trichamp - check your PM....

In the market for trawler with steeps to fly ride ,galley up , single engine. Berth on Tennessee river Knoxville area..Would like to do ICW in segments over a period of time,35-40 feet..New to the Trawler world.. Would appreciate any and all input.. Thanks Trichamp:dance:

Trichamp

There is a huge variety of Trawlers with this description. Nordic Tug, American Tug, Mainship, Grand Banks all have versions in this range. Lots of new and used varieties. I'd develop a little more detailed set of required (by you) specs and then start haunting your local broker. If you can get to a boat show that will have a variety of boats,me.g., Trawler Fest (put on by PassageMaker) and start looking.

Good luck and have fun.

Shawn

This 35-footer is single-engined and capable of river travel.

232323232%7Ffp54399%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D393%3A599963336nu0mrj

The Internet is your friend here. Nearly every boat that's for sale is listed on the Internet, at least boats over 26' or so.

Most of these listings have several photos and pretty complete descriptions so you can decide if it meets your requirements. Also if you've never owned a boat like this, you can't be really sure of some of the things you may think are necessary.

If you are really serious about buying a boat and not just dreaming, contact a reputable boat broker in your area and work with him/her. Brokers know how to find boats that are for sale and it's the seller, not you who pays the commission.

In the market for trawler with steps to fly bridge ,galley up , single engine. Berth on Tennessee river Knoxville area..Would like to do ICW in segments over a period of time,35-40 feet..New to the Trawler world.. Would appreciate any and all input.. Thanks Trichamp:dance:

Check out a Monk 36

here is the story of one couples loop trip on one http://integritycruise.com/

Trichamp... we all have our "learned" preferences, and this Mainship may be smaller than what you're looking for, but from the description it reads like a great possibility for you to consider. I think a broker would tell you that the list price is below market value, and the 310 hours on the main is far less than other 2005's. I'm not fond of the blue hull, but others are. The only thing I would change about this boat is its name. 2005 Mainship 34 Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Last edited:
This 35-footer is single-engined and capable of river travel.

232323232%7Ffp54399%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D393%3A599963336nu0mrj

No flying bridge, see OP's specs. A FB is a wonderful thing on river cruises, to see beyond banks and levees (especially the CA Delta!) and easier to spot flotsam. Having done the Napa River, for example, in both a Mainship 34 Pilot express style, and a Mainship 390 FB (from back in the day when Club Nautique had every flavor of MS), what a difference!

No flying bridge, see OP's specs. A FB is a wonderful thing on river cruises, ...

One might have to settle for two out of three. Most boats with flying bridges (and most boats have them) have two engines, more exposed than a single protected with keel.

Ditto... Que Pasa for the Californian...

To expand on my incredulity , first, there are a plethora of FB equipped single engine boats in all lengths and styles, especially "trawler style". The very popular Mainship 340/350/390 being one of them for instance, including the one I took up the Napa river. Nordhavns, Monks, old GBs, Cape Dory, and so on and so on.

Second, I guess one has to pick their paranoias. Certainly, for river, slough and ICW cruising, I would not give up a FB for whatever running gear protection a single allowed. If I could get a single that had a FB and the layout we wanted, sure, that'd be great. But to give up so much cruising pleasure for a little extra protection for a not-that-common incident, not for me. I think of the hundreds of miles cruising the Delta in a Mainship 430, including one winter when the rivers were really flowing, or the thousands of miles on the ICW (most of it like the Delta on steroids), Hudson, Connecticut, St Johns rivers in our Hatteras... just no way without an FB.... and no major running gear issues, and one minor one. . Even with our 30x29 4 bladed props, it only cost about $250 to fix a minor ding and refurb and computer balance the entire prop. I should note the Hatt has a deep keel the depth of the props. You can ding the prop on flotsam on a single too.

Last edited:
Agree George... my 34' FB single engine is perfect for my needs. No one stays in the salon when under weigh or even down there while in marinas until it gets dark - and then we stay up top enjoying the dusk, other boaters and cocktails. The 360 view from the FB is unobstructed and we take in the scenery along the way. For me, a second engine on a boat the size of mine is an expense I don't need, but when/if I venture off to the Bahamas, I'll tag along in a group. The 2 non negotiable items on my must have list were FB and single diesel.

Welcome to TF... you'll get lots of advice here... one suggestion is to hang around some marinas and see for yourself what's available and talk with owners... that will give you a better idea of what features are available then add to your "must have" and "don't need" lists.. please keep us posted and send pics...

I couldn't stress enough to be very honest and thoughtful with your self and mate, about the must haves and the I can live withouts.

As to the flying bridge issue:

First, let's talk houses. I prefer single level homes. But, I live on the water in Fort Lauderdale where space is very limited. So, to have the square footage we have, the usable space, we have two stories.

So to boats, I have the same view. Space, usable and enjoyable space. I don't just increase my overall space, but I increase my living space by a greater percentage and at least double my outside space. And to me boating is preferred outside when weather allows. Back to the house analogy, it would be like having our home in Fort Lauderdale but no yard, no patio, no pool, just a small porch.

Now for play and quick day fun we enjoy a coupe or open boat without a bridge. Nice when going fast. But then we find ourselves wishing for a bridge.

My #1 requirement on any self contained multi-stay-over cruiser boat = Flying Bridge. Linda's # 1 on same style boat = Up Galley. Both items set fine with each of us! We remain in "sea-quilibrium” aboard our boats!!

:D:flowers: :D:flowers:

My #1 requirement on any self contained multi-stay-over cruiser boat = Flying Bridge. Linda's # 1 on same style boat = Up Galley. Both items set fine with each of us! We remain in "sea-quilibrium” aboard our boats!!

:D:flowers: :D:flowers:

Galley up or down is something people feel very strongly about, both ways. Seems to be slightly preference to up but a lot of down too. I think partly depends on size boat. And many of the ones who like their galley's down, don't have them all the way down, just half a level down from the helm. So probably more galley up, then some galley half way, then a few completely down. More the gourmet cooks who want privacy all the way down.

Now we have a coupe which is a day boat and fun boat and a few overnights with galley down, but we would never have one down for real cruising. On that boat though as space up is limited, having a galley and sitting area down gives a second area to sit.

Still for trawler and cruising put us in the galley up group.

No no no! Let's not start the galley up galley down thing again! Talk about beating a dead horse.

No no no! Let's not start the galley up galley down thing again! Talk about beating a dead horse.

Dead horse flogging?!! ... Well I see your galley bet and raise with a Single V's Twin and which Anchor is better bet

Sent from iPad using Trawler App

Slowboat 37 has offered some VERY important advice that we whole heartedly agree with. Check out Yachtworld.com and use the advanced search. Just plug in your criteria and then check the photos. We're considering a Helmsman Yachts Pilot House 38 because of the molded steps up to the flybridge (among other features). You can check them out at 38 Pilothouse

Is beating a dead horse if you ever expect a universal verdict, but to an individual couple choosing it is a major issue often. It's something they should put on their check list as to their preference if any.

There is no right or wrong, just what is right or wrong for the one person. A hundred such issues in the selection of a boat. Single vs. twin? Flybridge? Teak vs. glass? Glass vs. steel? But all part of one figuring out what they like.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom